Exploring Reflection in a Plane Mirror

In summary: Yes, but why? How is the angle of reflection defined, geometrically? How is that different from the angle the reflection makes to the mirror?The angle of reflection is defined as the angle between the light ray and the mirror. The angle of incidence is the angle at which the light ray hits the mirror.
Coco Hwang
1) If the angle of incidence of a ray of light to mirror is 50 degrees, what is the angle of reflection from the mirror?

2) If the angle of incidence of a ray of light to a mirror is 20 degrees, what angle does the light ray make with the mirror when it reflects?

3) If a ray of light makes an angle of 58 degrees with a mirror, what is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray?
The attempt - I'm having a hard time understanding the concept of mirrors, does the angle of reflection always equal to the angle of incidence?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Coco Hwang said:
does the angle of reflection always equal to the angle of incidence?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.

thank you!

would this also apply for light rays?

Coco Hwang said:
thank you!

would this also apply for light rays?
Also? What were we discussing if not light rays?

haruspex said:
Also? What were we discussing if not light rays?
Sorry, I was not aware that angle of reflection and light rays were the same thing.. :sorry:

Coco Hwang said:
Sorry, I was not aware that angle of reflection and light rays were the same thing.. :sorry:
They're not the same thing. Light rays are reflected in mirrors. The angle of reflection is an attribute of that reflection.
Although "reflection" generally refers to light, we can use the term in other contexts, figuratively.
But in the context of the present question, we are definitely discussing reflection of light rays.

haruspex said:
They're not the same thing. Light rays are reflected in mirrors. The angle of reflection is an attribute of that reflection.
Although "reflection" generally refers to light, we can use the term in other contexts, figuratively.
But in the context of the present question, we are definitely discussing reflection of light rays.

Oh I see, thank you for your detailed response! So in this situation, would the answers for both questions #1 and #2 be the same as their angle of incidence?

Coco Hwang said:
Oh I see, thank you for your detailed response! So in this situation, would the answers for both questions #1 and #2 be the same as their angle of incidence?
For #1, yes, but for #2 you need to think carefully about how the following are defined:
  • Angle of incidence
  • Angle of reflection
  • Angle between the light ray and the mirror

haruspex said:
For #1, yes, but for #2 you need to think carefully about how the following are defined:
  • Angle of incidence
  • Angle of reflection
  • Angle between the light ray and the mirror

ok so for #2, would I subtract 20 degrees from 90 degrees? ( 70 degrees ) Or do I just multiply 20 two times ( 40 degrees )

Coco Hwang said:
ok so for #2, would I subtract 20 degrees from 90 degrees? ( 70 degrees ) Or do I just multiply 20 two times ( 40 degrees )
One of those is correct. Which one and why?

haruspex said:
One of those is correct. Which one and why?

Ummm, is it subtracting 20 from 90? Because the angle of incidence is 90 so I subtract the angle made from the reflection from it?

Coco Hwang said:
Ummm, is it subtracting 20 from 90? Because the angle of incidence is 90 so I subtract the angle made from the reflection from it?
Yes, but why? How is the angle of reflection defined, geometrically? How is that different from the angle the reflection makes to the mirror?

What is "Reflection in a Plane Mirror"?

"Reflection in a Plane Mirror" refers to the phenomenon of light bouncing off a flat surface, such as a mirror, with the angle of incidence equal to the angle of reflection.

How does reflection in a plane mirror work?

When light hits a plane mirror, it is reflected back at the same angle it hit the mirror. This is due to the smooth and flat surface of the mirror, which causes the light to bounce off uniformly.

What are some real-life examples of reflection in a plane mirror?

Examples of reflection in a plane mirror include seeing your reflection in a bathroom mirror, using a hand mirror to check your appearance, and seeing your reflection in a storefront window.

Can reflection in a plane mirror create an illusion?

Yes, reflection in a plane mirror can create an optical illusion, as the reflected image appears to be behind the mirror and the same distance away as the object in front of the mirror.

How is reflection in a plane mirror used in everyday life?

Reflection in a plane mirror is used in many everyday objects, such as mirrors for personal grooming, car mirrors for driving, and reflective surfaces in telescopes and cameras. It is also used in science experiments and in the construction of buildings with reflective windows.