1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction and total internal reflection

1. Aug 8, 2010 #1
    A mixture of red and violet light is incident on a glass-air interface. The indices of refraction for red and violet light in glass are n(red)=1.52 and n(violet)=1.538. What color of light enters the air?

http://www.webassign.net/cj8/q_10.gif

attempt to solve:
    I found that the critical angle for the violet light is 40.56 degrees and 41.14 degrees for the red. If the critical angle for the red light is larger, shouldn't there be total internal reflection?

Thanks in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At which angle does total reflection happen? Greater or lower than the critical angle?

ehild

4. Aug 9, 2010 #3
    Greater than the critical angle, right? That is what I'm getting but this problem is confusing. I must be doing something wrong.

5. Aug 9, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The light enters at the glass-air interface at 40.85° angle. For which light is this angle greater than the critical one?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook