1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refraction/Smallest curve of optical fibre.

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"figure 3" (below) shows an optical fibre bent in a curve. The diameter of the fibre is 4mm. If light is not to escape, calculate the smallest radius of R of the curve round which the fibre can be bent. Assume that the fibre is surrounded by air (refractive index 1) and that the refractive index of glass is 1.5"

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

n1
    ___ = SinC (critical angle)

n2

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, Ive got c, the critical angle -

__ = 0.666.... sin-1(o.666) = 41.81

But, I can seem to make a triangle with enough information to get R. I've tried splitting it up, but either get not enough information to do sine or cosine rules, or a non right angle triangle. Maybe I'm just missing something?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Call the acute angle at the centre between the dashed and dotted lines A.
    If the fibre makes a quadrant then the angle between the incoming ray and the dotted line is 90 therefore angle A is 90-C.
    The dotted line is length R, the hypotonuse (dashed line) is R+4mm and the angle is (90-c)
    So cos(90-C) = r/(r+4mm)

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    So just rearrange that to give me R? Ill give it a shot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?