Refraction/Smallest curve of optical fibre.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Berdi
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"figure 3" (below) shows an optical fibre bent in a curve. The diameter of the fibre is 4mm. If light is not to escape, calculate the smallest radius of R of the curve round which the fibre can be bent. Assume that the fibre is surrounded by air (refractive index 1) and that the refractive index of glass is 1.5"

Phys-1.jpg



Homework Equations



n1
___ = SinC (critical angle)

n2

The Attempt at a Solution



Well, I've got c, the critical angle -

1
__ = 0.666... sin-1(o.666) = 41.81
1.5

But, I can seem to make a triangle with enough information to get R. I've tried splitting it up, but either get not enough information to do sine or cosine rules, or a non right angle triangle. Maybe I'm just missing something?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Call the acute angle at the centre between the dashed and dotted lines A.
If the fibre makes a quadrant then the angle between the incoming ray and the dotted line is 90 therefore angle A is 90-C.
The dotted line is length R, the hypotonuse (dashed line) is R+4mm and the angle is (90-c)
So cos(90-C) = r/(r+4mm)
 
So just rearrange that to give me R? Ill give it a shot.