Refractive index snell's law help

In summary, the refractive index of glass is greater than water, so light will not be observed as a result of total internal reflection at a water - glass boundary. However, when the glass is inserted, the refractive index of glass becomes equal to the refractive index of water, and total
jeebs
refractive index... snell's law... help!

Hi,

im having a LOT of trouble with what seems like a basic question. i have been stressing over this for nearly 3 hours now. can anyone help me out? here it is:

Light propagating from water into air is incident on the water surface at the angle of total internal reflection. A plane parallel glass plate is brought into contact with the surface of water.

Will any light be observed as a result of that? Justify your answer by using Snell’s law.

snell's law: n1sin [tex]\theta[/tex]1 = n2sin[tex]\theta[/tex]2

where n is the refractive index of the medium either side of the boundary, and theta is the angle made by the ray with the normal to the boundary either side of the boundary.

all i have managed to work out is that the light ray coming in at the reflection angle for water - air boundary would not be able to experience total internal reflection at a water - glass boundary, since the refractive index of glass is greater than water.

when the ray travels through the glass and meets the glass - air boundary, total internal reflection is possible since air has a lower refractive index than glass.

but, i am stuck here. i can't find a way to show whether the ray will be totally internally reflected or not. has anyone got any suggestions?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

PS. if you haven't answered because it looks like i haven't tried hard enough or haven't given enough info then please say so, because half the time i ask for help on this site i don't even get a reply even though the question gets viewed. i want to know why.

you need to show some working... to both show you;ve attempted teh problem & it makes it easier for people to see what you're trying to do & how to correct you

but this how i would look at it

Water to Air
nw.sin(tw) = na.sin(ta) = na.1 as at TIR so ta = 90, sin(ta) = 90

so sin(tw) = na/nw
(note na is close to 1 but we don't have to cancel so leave for now, might gain some extra insight later)

what happens when the glass is inserted, tw is the same
nw.sin(tw) = ng.sin(tg)

so we have (tg) now write the equation for the glass air interface compare them ..

1. What is the definition of refractive index?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it. It is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How is refractive index related to Snell's law?

Snell's law, also known as the law of refraction, states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two materials.

3. What is the formula for calculating refractive index?

The formula for calculating refractive index is n = c/v, where n is the refractive index, c is the speed of light in a vacuum, and v is the speed of light in the material.

4. How does refractive index affect the behavior of light?

The higher the refractive index of a material, the slower light travels through it. This causes light to bend or refract as it passes from one material to another, which is why objects appear distorted when viewed through different mediums.

5. Can you provide an example of Snell's law in action?

One common example of Snell's law is the refraction of light through a glass prism, which causes the different colors of light to bend at different angles, creating a rainbow effect.