1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1
    I bought a couple of bar magnets at the local hardware store. They were acting so strangely. I couldn't figure out where the poles were. Finally I realized each magnet had four poles! They weren't quadropolar, rather half of each bar was magnetized one way and the other half the other way. The field is oriented towards the thnnest dimension of the bar, not the longest like in all of the diagrams. Pretty clever setup.

I suppose that a permanent magnet could have any number of poles greater than 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2016 #2
  4. Jan 24, 2016 #3
  5. Jan 24, 2016 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Poles come in pairs.

6. Jan 24, 2016 #5
  7. Jan 25, 2016 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Jan 26, 2016 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jan 26, 2016 #8
    It depends on how a magnetic pole is defined.

10. Jan 26, 2016 #9

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, look at the field lines in the image
    I can see 4 distinct poles with an unknown area in the middle

11. Jan 28, 2016 #10

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I recently experimented with two flat refrigerator "strip" magnets each about 1" diameter and placed their backs against each other. By orientating them just right I could maximize the adhesion. A little experimentation by sliding one of them across showed that the poles came in strips about 1/8" wide from top to bottom so that they would slide easily in the vertical direction but when sliding horizontal they would click into place after every 1/8" -1/4" of motion. A subsequent google confirmed they are manufactured in such a fashion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook