Refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece

In summary, these magnets have four poles that are oriented along the thinnest dimension of the magnet.
Hornbein
I bought a couple of bar magnets at the local hardware store. They were acting so strangely. I couldn't figure out where the poles were. Finally I realized each magnet had four poles! They weren't quadropolar, rather half of each bar was magnetized one way and the other half the other way. The field is oriented towards the thnnest dimension of the bar, not the longest like in all of the diagrams. Pretty clever setup.

I suppose that a permanent magnet could have any number of poles greater than 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
I bought a couple of bar magnets at the local hardware store. They were acting so strangely. I couldn't figure out where the poles were. Finally I realized each magnet had four poles! They weren't quadropolar, rather half of each bar was magnetized one way and the other half the other way. The field is oriented towards the thnnest dimension of the bar, not the longest like in all of the diagrams. Pretty clever setup.

I suppose that a permanent magnet could have any number of poles greater than 1.
Poles come in pairs.

davenn said:
there's more than 3 poles in the image in that link

It depends on how a magnetic pole is defined.

Hornbein said:
It depends on how a magnetic pole is defined.

no, look at the field lines in the image
I can see 4 distinct poles with an unknown area in the middle

I recently experimented with two flat refrigerator "strip" magnets each about 1" diameter and placed their backs against each other. By orientating them just right I could maximize the adhesion. A little experimentation by sliding one of them across showed that the poles came in strips about 1/8" wide from top to bottom so that they would slide easily in the vertical direction but when sliding horizontal they would click into place after every 1/8" -1/4" of motion. A subsequent google confirmed they are manufactured in such a fashion.

1. How do refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece work?

Refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece, also known as quadrapole magnets, work by having four poles instead of the traditional two poles found in most magnets. This allows them to have a stronger magnetic field and hold onto heavier objects.

2. What are the benefits of using refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece?

The main benefit of using refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece is their increased strength and holding power. This makes them ideal for holding up heavier objects such as multiple papers or thicker materials.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece?

No, there are no additional safety concerns with using refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece compared to traditional magnets. However, it is always important to keep magnets away from small children and those with medical devices, such as pacemakers, as they can be harmful if swallowed or interfere with the functioning of the device.

4. Can refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece be used on any surface?

Yes, refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece can be used on most surfaces, including metal, glass, and some plastics. However, they may not work on surfaces that are not attracted to magnets, such as wood or some types of plastic.

5. How do I properly care for refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece?

To properly care for refrigerator magnets with four poles apiece, it is important to keep them clean and free of any debris or dirt. They can be wiped down with a damp cloth if needed. It is also important to store them away from other magnets to prevent them from losing their magnetism.