Refurbished Graphics Card or Not

• Thread starter KyleGranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary, the conversation is discussing the options of purchasing a refurbished Quadro M4000 for $250 or a new card for the same price. The refurbished option comes with a 4 year extended warranty, making the total cost $300. However, the other person suggests always going with a new card due to the potential for unexpected issues with refurbished versions and the lack of design improvements and newer drivers. The summary concludes with an agreement on this point.
KyleGranger
TL;DR Summary
Quadro M4000
I found a refurbished Quadro M4000 for about $250. I'm wondering if I should get this or a new card for about the same price. The M400 refurbished comes with a 4 year extended warranty so basically $300 with a 4 year warranty.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I always go with new as refurbished can always have something unexpected go wrong with it plus it’s always an older version of the card not benefitting from design improvements and newer drivers.

Likes KyleGranger
jedishrfu said:
I always go with new as refurbished can always have something unexpected go wrong with it plus it’s always an older version of the card not benefitting from design improvements and newer drivers.
+1 on that

Likes KyleGranger

1. Is a refurbished graphics card worth the cost?

It depends on the individual situation. A refurbished graphics card can be a cost-effective option for those on a budget, but it may not have the same performance or longevity as a brand new card. It's important to research the specific model and read reviews before making a decision.

2. How can I tell if a graphics card is refurbished?

The best way to determine if a graphics card is refurbished is to check with the seller. They should disclose this information in the product description. You can also look for any signs of wear or use on the card itself, such as scratches or dust.

3. Are refurbished graphics cards reliable?

Refurbished graphics cards can be just as reliable as new ones if they have been properly refurbished. It's important to purchase from a reputable seller and ensure that the card comes with a warranty. It's also a good idea to read reviews from other customers who have purchased the same refurbished card.

4. What is the difference between a refurbished and a used graphics card?

A refurbished graphics card has been inspected, tested, and repaired if needed by the manufacturer or a certified third-party. This means it should function like a new card. A used graphics card may have been previously owned and could have wear and tear or performance issues.

5. Can I upgrade my current graphics card with a refurbished one?

Yes, as long as the refurbished graphics card is compatible with your computer's hardware and operating system, you can upgrade your current card with a refurbished one. Just make sure to do your research and choose a reputable seller to ensure a successful upgrade.