Regarding the biology of flying

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alan McIntire
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Biology Flying
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Alan McIntire
Messages
30
Reaction score
3
I recently watched a rerun of "Jurassic World" on TV. Seeing the pterodactyl attack, I got to thinking;
Is there a formula to determine the maximum weight a flying bird, bat, pterodactyl, or whatever can have given the force of gravity g at the planet's surface, and the atmospheric pressure?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Check this presentation it derives a formula for that:

Thank you for the link. When I was watching the Pterodactyl attack, I thought it was unbelievable that any living creature could pick up a grown human.

The Texas Pterosaurs were supposed to have a mass of 100 up to 200 Kg. Nowadays, the most massive flying bird is the Kori Bustard, with a mass of about 20 Kg. I don't think more massive fliers can exist with our current atmosphere.