Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Regarding the density of an Object in another density layer

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    Hi All,
    Iam doing a post graduate science student from india, , I have a query regarding the density of a object (liquid).

My query is,

Let say if I have three layers from ground level each has different density as mentioned below,
    (Layer 1 (high density hence below), Layer 2(2nd highest) and Layer 3 (lowest) . consider Layer 1 has 10 meter of height, layer 2 has 10 meters of height

suddenly i introduce a object of layer 1 density in layer 3, As per the theory the introduce layer one object should go up to layer 1.
    Iam not able to calculate the how much faster the introduced object will reach layer 1?

Is there any formulae to calculate this ?
    Thanks in Advance.
    Looking forward for your reply.

--Mnathan

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

In addition to determining the forces mg and buoyancy, one needs the viscosity and/or coefficient of drag since this is a dynamics problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?