Regents Problems Best Solution

• Thread starter spot
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems from the Regents website, including finding specific values for certain equations, memorizing formulas, and understanding the relationship between frequency, wavelength, and speed of light in different mediums. The conversation also touches on different methods for solving problems, such as using equations for finding time and distance in projectile motion.
spot

Homework Statement

Problems in pics from regents site.
prob1.JPG

prob2.JPG

prob3.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

16 and 17--
16--
U = C_v 300-275 but how do i find C_v
17 ---is zero from properties of adiabatic process.

23 How am I supposed to know its 4 without memorizing the resistance
i know R = rho L/a but I would have to memorize rho.

6 ---it has to be 3 because of maximum magnitude = 718 and 43----Same as 23 ---

I use v= at + v_o to find half of time in air above horizontal from starting point
for both balls then
used x= 0.5 g t^2 to find the rest of the time and then figured out ratio
but this way is very computationally intensive is there a better way.

30-- am I supposed to know an equation for n(lambda)

19--- same as 23

29-- the frequency stays the same but why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone know why the frequency stays the same as light passes through a medium but the wavelength and speed change?

I understand your frustration with the lack of information provided in these problems. However, I would like to remind you that as a student, it is important to develop problem-solving skills and not just rely on memorization. In regards to problem 16, you can use the specific heat formula, Q = mCΔT, to find C_v. For problem 17, you can use the first law of thermodynamics, ΔU = Q - W, to determine that the internal energy change is zero in an adiabatic process.

In problem 23, the value of 4 can be found by using the equation R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material. This value can be looked up in a table or provided in the problem. Similarly, in problem 19, you can use the resistivity equation to find the value of R.

For problem 6, remember that the maximum magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. Therefore, the magnitude must be 3 in order to have a maximum of 7.

In problems 18 and 43, it is important to use the correct equations and not just rely on memorization. For problem 30, you can use the equation n = c/λ, where n is the refractive index and λ is the wavelength. And for problem 29, remember that frequency is determined by the source, not the medium, so it remains constant.

In regards to problem 6, I suggest trying to use conservation of energy to solve it in a more efficient way. And for problem 30, you can use Snell's law to determine the refractive index. I encourage you to continue practicing and developing your problem-solving skills, as it will greatly benefit you in your scientific career.

What is a "Regents Problem"?

A "Regents Problem" refers to a type of math or science problem that is commonly included in standardized tests, specifically the Regents Examinations in New York State. These problems are designed to assess a student's understanding of key concepts and their ability to apply them to real-world situations.

Why is finding the best solution to a Regents Problem important?

Finding the best solution to a Regents Problem is important because it demonstrates a deeper understanding of the material and shows the ability to think critically and solve complex problems. Additionally, on standardized tests, the best solution is often worth the most points, so finding it can significantly improve a student's score.

What strategies can be used to find the best solution to a Regents Problem?

Some strategies that can be used to find the best solution to a Regents Problem include identifying key information and concepts, breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and using logic and reasoning to eliminate incorrect answers.

How can practicing Regents Problems help improve test scores?

Practicing Regents Problems can help improve test scores by familiarizing students with the format and types of questions that will be asked on the exam. It also allows students to identify any areas of weakness and focus on improving their understanding of those concepts before the actual test.

Are there any resources available to help students with Regents Problems?

Yes, there are many resources available to help students with Regents Problems, such as study guides, practice tests, and online tutorials. Students can also seek help from their teachers or tutors for additional support and guidance.