Projectile motion where yi doesn't equal yf

In summary: It is initially upwards and gravity is pulling it downward. You show it correctly in the second equation, but then you forgot it again in the third.In summary, the hammer bro is throwing hammers downward at a velocity of 17 m/s at an angle of 51 degrees from a ledge that is 8.5 m tall. Using the equations vfy^2=viy^2+2g⋅Δ(y) and vfy=gt+viy, the time of each hammer in the air can be calculated. However, it is important to be consistent with the negative direction of gravity and the signs of initial and final velocities in order to get an accurate solution.
OnePunch

Homework Statement

A hammer bro is throwing hammers with a velocity of 1.7 E 1 m/s at 51 degrees down at Mario from a ledge that is 8.5 m tall. Assume that gravitational acceleration in the Mushroom Kingdom is the same as on Earth.
Determine how long each hammer in in the air.

Homework Equations

vfy^2=viy^2+2g ⋅Δ(y)
vfy=gt+viy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the method of using the equation: vfy^2=viy^2+2g⋅Δ(y) to find vfy; then I substituted the known values so that it would be vfy^2=(17⋅sin51)^2⋅2(-9.8)(8.5) which I found that vfy=2.818375277.
Then I substituted this value to the equation vfy=gt+viy which gave me 2.818375277=-9.8t+(17⋅sin51); this gave me the time of 1.06052127. However, when I input this solution into the answer option it says that I was incorrect. I don't know what/how I messed up, help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
OnePunch said:

Homework Statement

A hammer bro is throwing hammers with a velocity of 1.7 E 1 m/s at 51 degrees down at Mario from a ledge that is 8.5 m tall. Assume that gravitational acceleration in the Mushroom Kingdom is the same as on Earth.
Determine how long each hammer in in the air.

Homework Equations

vfy^2=viy^2+2g ⋅Δ(y)
vfy=gt+viy

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the method of using the equation: vfy^2=viy^2+2g⋅Δ(y) to find vfy; then I substituted the known values so that it would be vfy^2=(17⋅sin51)^2⋅2(-9.8)(8.5) which I found that vfy=2.818375277.
Then I substituted this value to the equation vfy=gt+viy which gave me 2.818375277=-9.8t+(17⋅sin51); this gave me the time of 1.06052127. However, when I input this solution into the answer option it says that I was incorrect. I don't know what/how I messed up, help would be greatly appreciated.

You have ##g = -9.8 m/s^2##, which means "down" is the negative direction. Have you been consistent in this?

Note that units are important.

Likes OnePunch
I believe so as in the first equation I used: vfy^2= (17⋅sin51)^2⋅-19.6⋅8.5. Is is acceptable for me to have 2g as -19.6, or is that where I am faltering? The solution for vfy=2.818375277; and in the second equation I used: vfy=gt+viy→vfy-viy=gt→(vfy-viy)/g=t. This gives me -10.39310607/-9.8=t, then t= 1.06052127.

OnePunch said:
I believe so as in the first equation I used: vfy^2= (17⋅sin51)^2⋅-19.6⋅8.5. Is is acceptable for me to have 2g as -19.6, or is that where I am faltering? The solution for vfy=2.818375277; and in the second equation I used: vfy=gt+viy→vfy-viy=gt→(vfy-viy)/g=t. This gives me -10.39310607/-9.8=t, then t= 1.06052127.

What have you got for the displacement in the y-direction?

By the way, when I asked whether you had been consistent, that was just a polite way of saying that you hadn't been consistent!

Likes OnePunch
Should Δy be -8.5 instead of regular 8.5? And I don't see where I messed up with the -9.8m/s^2 consistency.

OnePunch said:
Should Δy be -8.5 instead of regular 8.5? And I don't see where I messed up with the -9.8m/s^2 consistency.

Well, that's it. If ##g = -9.8 m/s^2##, then ##\Delta y = -8.5m##, as they are both downward.

You need to be careful with the signs of your initial and final velocities as well. For example:

OnePunch said:

Homework Statement

I found that vfy=2.818375277.

You have a positive value there, but ##v_{fy}## must be negative.

Likes OnePunch

1. How does the initial height affect the projectile motion?

The initial height, yi, affects the projectile motion by changing the vertical component of the initial velocity. This results in a change in the maximum height and the range of the projectile.

2. What happens when yi is greater than yf?

When yi is greater than yf, the projectile will follow a parabolic path and eventually land at a lower height than the initial height.

3. How do you calculate the time of flight when yi is not equal to yf?

The time of flight, t, can be calculated using the equation t = (2*v0*sin(θ))/g, where v0 is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of projection. The initial height, yi, does not affect the time of flight.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile when yi is not equal to yf?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation h = yi + (v0^2*sin^2(θ))/(2g), where v0 is the initial velocity and θ is the angle of projection. The initial height, yi, and the final height, yf, both affect the maximum height.

5. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile when yi is not equal to yf?

Air resistance can affect the motion of a projectile when yi is not equal to yf by slowing down the projectile and reducing its range. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to lose speed and height.