Regression rate of fuel in rocket nozzle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TimeRip496
Messages
249
Reaction score
5
upload_2017-12-14_12-52-45.png

So we have: stability for n < 1
instability for n > 1
upload_2017-12-14_12-53-43.png


I assume to get the time growth, I have to integrate the above first eqn. However I also get ln(δpc) at the LHS from the integrating. However the above equation for time growth removed that ln(δpc) and thus I can't seem to get past this part.

Source: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...pring-2012/lecture-notes/MIT16_50S12_lec9.pdf
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-14_12-52-45.png
    upload_2017-12-14_12-52-45.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,034
  • upload_2017-12-14_12-53-43.png
    upload_2017-12-14_12-53-43.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,014
Physics news on Phys.org
When ##\frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dt}=-C## then integrating both sides leads to ## \ln(y) = -Ct ## (neglecting the constant of integration)
Taking the exponential of the left side leads to ## \exp(\ln(y)) = e^{\ln(y)} = y ##
Taking the exponential of both sides leads to ##y = \exp(-Ct) =\frac{1}{e^{Ct}}##
hope this helps.
 
bigfooted said:
When ##\frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dt}=-C## then integrating both sides leads to ## \ln(y) = -Ct ## (neglecting the constant of integration)
Taking the exponential of the left side leads to ## \exp(\ln(y)) = e^{\ln(y)} = y ##
Taking the exponential of both sides leads to ##y = \exp(-Ct) =\frac{1}{e^{Ct}}##
hope this helps.
Thanks I get this part. However the one shown on the pdf does not have the exponential for the time growth equation. How did they arrive at the above equation while getting rid of the exponential?
 
well, how much time does it take for ##y## to change from ##y_0## at ##t=0## to say ##2y_0##?

at ##t=0## we have ##y=\exp(0) = 1 ##, so ##y_0=1##
and at time t, we have from the equation ##\ln(y) = Ct## (I make it positive here because your equation has a negative constant):
##t = \frac{1}{C} \cdot \ln(2) ##

so to double ##y##, it takes ##t = \frac{1}{C} \cdot \ln(2) ## seconds, with a scaling factor for doubling (or tripling or whatever) of ## \frac{1}{C}##

hope this helps...