Regression rate of fuel in rocket nozzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability and instability of a system for different values of n. It also delves into the process of obtaining the time growth equation and how to calculate the time it takes for a variable to change from one value to another.
TimeRip496
upload_2017-12-14_12-52-45.png

So we have: stability for n < 1
instability for n > 1
upload_2017-12-14_12-53-43.png

I assume to get the time growth, I have to integrate the above first eqn. However I also get ln(δpc) at the LHS from the integrating. However the above equation for time growth removed that ln(δpc) and thus I can't seem to get past this part.

Source: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/aeronau...pring-2012/lecture-notes/MIT16_50S12_lec9.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-14_12-52-45.png
    upload_2017-12-14_12-52-45.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 901
  • upload_2017-12-14_12-53-43.png
    upload_2017-12-14_12-53-43.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 882
Physics news on Phys.org
When ##\frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dt}=-C## then integrating both sides leads to ## \ln(y) = -Ct ## (neglecting the constant of integration)
Taking the exponential of the left side leads to ## \exp(\ln(y)) = e^{\ln(y)} = y ##
Taking the exponential of both sides leads to ##y = \exp(-Ct) =\frac{1}{e^{Ct}}##
hope this helps.

bigfooted said:
When ##\frac{1}{y}\frac{dy}{dt}=-C## then integrating both sides leads to ## \ln(y) = -Ct ## (neglecting the constant of integration)
Taking the exponential of the left side leads to ## \exp(\ln(y)) = e^{\ln(y)} = y ##
Taking the exponential of both sides leads to ##y = \exp(-Ct) =\frac{1}{e^{Ct}}##
hope this helps.
Thanks I get this part. However the one shown on the pdf does not have the exponential for the time growth equation. How did they arrive at the above equation while getting rid of the exponential?

well, how much time does it take for ##y## to change from ##y_0## at ##t=0## to say ##2y_0##?

at ##t=0## we have ##y=\exp(0) = 1 ##, so ##y_0=1##
and at time t, we have from the equation ##\ln(y) = Ct## (I make it positive here because your equation has a negative constant):
##t = \frac{1}{C} \cdot \ln(2) ##

so to double ##y##, it takes ##t = \frac{1}{C} \cdot \ln(2) ## seconds, with a scaling factor for doubling (or tripling or whatever) of ## \frac{1}{C}##

hope this helps...

1. What is regression rate of fuel in a rocket nozzle?

The regression rate of fuel in a rocket nozzle is the rate at which the fuel burns and erodes the inner walls of the nozzle. This is a critical factor in rocket engine design as it affects the performance and stability of the engine.

2. How is the regression rate of fuel measured?

The regression rate of fuel is typically measured using high-speed cameras and sensors that track the changes in the nozzle surface as the fuel burns. It can also be calculated using mathematical models and simulations.

3. What factors affect the regression rate of fuel in a rocket nozzle?

The regression rate of fuel can be influenced by various factors such as the type of fuel used, the chamber pressure, the nozzle geometry, and the combustion environment. These factors can all impact the fuel burn rate and the erosion of the nozzle walls.

4. How does the regression rate of fuel impact rocket performance?

The regression rate of fuel can directly affect the thrust and efficiency of a rocket engine. A higher regression rate can result in a more powerful engine, but it can also lead to more intense erosion of the nozzle, which can decrease the engine's lifespan.

5. How do scientists and engineers optimize the regression rate of fuel in rocket nozzles?

Scientists and engineers use a combination of experimental testing and computational modeling to optimize the regression rate of fuel in rocket nozzles. This involves finding the optimal fuel type and chamber pressure, as well as designing the nozzle geometry to achieve the desired regression rate while maintaining structural integrity.