1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates, find d(theta)/dt

1. Oct 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A plane is approaching an observer from an altitude of 5 mi at a dx/dt of 600 mi/h. Find the d(theta)/dt when theta is 30 degrees, 60 degrees, and 75 degrees.

2. Relevant equations

tan(theta) = x/y
    5csc(theta) = r

3. The attempt at a solution

For my d(theta)/dt I had the formula of 3000/(5csc(theta))^2

The answers I had were wrong according to the text.

Please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

You have too many variables. All you need are two: one for the horizontal distance and one for the angle.

I presume that y is the altitude of the plane, which is given and is not changing. I'm guessing that r is the length of the hypotenuse of the right triangle. Keep in mind that if x is the horizontal distance, it is decreasing because the plane is approaching the observer, so dx/dt will necessarily be negative.

I have no idea how you got what you have for d(theta)/dt.
  4. Oct 17, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

All you need is [itex]tan(\theta)= height/distance[/itex]. You are told that the height is always 5 mi and that the distance is decreasing at 600 mi/hr.

With [itex]\theta= arctan(500/x)[/itex], what is [itex]d\theta/dx[/itex] and from that what is [itex]d\theta/dt[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?