1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates finding the dA/dt.

1. Jul 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The measure of one of the acute angles of a right triangle is decreasing at the rate 1/36 pi rad/sec. If the length of the hypotenuse is constant at 40cm, find how fast the area is changing when the measure of the acute angle is 1/6 pi.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the formula for the area of a triangle which is 1/2 base times the height, using trigonometry function, I substitute the value of base with 40costeta and the height is 40sinteta. How will I differentiated A = 40costeta*40sinteta? Will I use the product rule to differentiate? where will I include or put the rate given?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

so you have
    [tex] A(\theta) = 40 cos(\theta) sin(\theta) [/tex]

differentiate both sides with respect to t, you will need to use both chain & product rules

4. Jul 5, 2011 #3
    oh.. meaning

[tex] dA/dt = (cos^2 [/theta] - sin^2 [/theta]) d[/theta]/dt [/tex]

Where will I get the value for cos[/theta] and sin[/theta] ?

5. Jul 5, 2011 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

well you're given theta

6. Jul 5, 2011 #5
    oh.. thank you so much..
    Is it alright if I will get a negative answer?

7. Jul 5, 2011 #6

Char. Limit

Gold Member

A note: This equation actually becomes very easy to differentiate if you recognize that [itex]40 sin(\theta) cos(\theta) = 20 sin(2 \theta)[/itex].

8. Jul 6, 2011 #7

lanedance

Homework Helper

i haven't checked if it is the correct answer, but assuming you've done the maths correctly a negative answer is fine, it just means the area is decreasing

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook