Related Rates Sand Pile Problem

In summary, a machine is dumping sand at a rate of 20 m3/min, forming a cone-shaped pile with a height that is always twice the length of the base diameter. After 5 minutes, the height is increasing at a rate of 0.77 m^3/min and the area of the base is increasing as well. To find the rate of increase for the area of the base, rewrite the equation for the area of a circle (A = πr^2) in terms of the height (h) and use the fact that h = 4r. Then, apply the rate of change (dH/dt) to find the rate of increase for the area of the base.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A machine starts dumping sand at the rate of 20 m3/min, forming a pile in the shape of a cone. The height of the pile is always twice the length of the base diameter. After 5 minutes, how fast is the height increasing? After 5 minutes, how fast is the area of the base increasing?

Homework Equations

V = (1/3)(pi)r^2(h)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
For the first question,
##h = 4r##
##\displaystyle V(t) = 20t = \frac{1}{3}\pi r^2 h = \frac{\pi}{48}h^3##
From this equation I get
##\displaystyle h = (\frac{960}{\pi}t)^{\frac{1}{3}}##
then
##\frac{dh}{dt} = \frac{320}{\pi ((\frac{960}{\pi})t)^{\frac{2}{3}}}##
When 5 is substituted for t, I get 0.77 m^3/min. Is this correct?

Also, I am not sure how to approach the second problem. I know that the area of the base is ##\pi r^2##, but I am not sure how to proceed...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the fact that height is equal to twice the diameter of the base at all times.

Last edited:
Thewindyfan said:
Use the fact that height is equal to twice the diameter of the base at all times.
I did that for the first problem. I don't see how it will work for the second problem though.

Mr Davis 97 said:
I did that for the first problem. I don't see how it will work for the second problem though.
EDIT: ah never mind, fairly straightforward problem. Haven't seen one like this in awhile though.

Method 1: If you're know what dH/dt is, try applying that to see what the radius would be.

EDIT: you did the first part right.
Suggested Hint: Try rewriting the area equation.

...and check your units to part 1.

Last edited:

What is the "Related Rates Sand Pile Problem"?

The Related Rates Sand Pile Problem is a mathematical problem that involves the concept of related rates, which is the rate at which one quantity changes in relation to the rate of change of another quantity. In this problem, sand is poured onto a pile at a constant rate, and the pile grows in a conical shape. The goal is to determine the rate at which the height and volume of the pile are changing at a specific point in time.

What is the significance of the "Related Rates Sand Pile Problem"?

The Related Rates Sand Pile Problem is significant because it demonstrates the application of related rates in real-world scenarios. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for scientific inquiry.

What are the key concepts involved in solving the "Related Rates Sand Pile Problem"?

The key concepts involved in solving the Related Rates Sand Pile Problem include rates of change, derivatives, and geometric shapes such as cones. It also requires an understanding of how the volume and height of a cone are related.

What are the steps involved in solving the "Related Rates Sand Pile Problem"?

The steps involved in solving the Related Rates Sand Pile Problem include drawing a diagram, identifying the known and unknown quantities, setting up an equation that relates the known and unknown quantities, taking the derivative of the equation with respect to time, substituting in the known values, and solving for the unknown rate of change.

What are some tips for successfully solving the "Related Rates Sand Pile Problem"?

Some tips for successfully solving the Related Rates Sand Pile Problem include practicing with similar problems, carefully labeling and organizing the given information, using diagrams and equations to represent the problem, and checking the units of all quantities to ensure they are consistent. It is also important to understand the conceptual basis of related rates and how they apply to the problem at hand.