1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates problem (involving a cone)

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Gravel is being dumped from a conveyor belt at a rate of 30 cubic feet per minute. It forms a pile in the shape of a right circular cone whose base diameter and height are always the same. The height of the pile is increasing at a rate of ____ feet per minute when the pile is 11 feet high.

Recall that the volume of a right circular cone with height h and radius of the base r is given by (1/3)*pi*(r^2)*h.

2. Relevant equations
    Noted above.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand the problem. If the radius and the height are always the same how can they change?

EDIT: if I am thinking of this correctly then the answer would be 0 (which is incorrect).

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's saying the diameter and the radius both vary with time but are always equal at any given time. I.e. r=h. It isn't saying they are always the same in the sense that they are constant. Try and make an attempt again.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Oh! That makes things much clearer! Thanks!

5. Oct 26, 2009 #4
    Point of clarification: The problem says the diameter and HEIGHT vary with time, but they are equal to each other. So d = 2r = h, or r = 0.5h.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook