Related rates: When t is given and r is not

  • Thread starter Thread starter becca4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Related rates
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
becca4
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A stone dropped into a still pond sends out a circular ripple whose radius increases at a constant rate of 3 ft/s. How rapidly is the area enclosed by the ripple increasing at the end of 10 s?

Homework Equations


How do I even set up implicit differentiation?

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that dr/dt is 3 ft/s and that I'm looking for dA/dt, but I don't know where t = 10s goes into that equation, especially when I don't have the radius... Do I multiply time times dr/dt to get radius at 10 seconds and go from there?

HELP!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the formula for the area of a circle. You are given how the radius changes with time. Do you see how those might fit together to get an expression for the change in area? Start there and see if that helps you out.

Edit: Yes, you can get the radius at 10 seconds that way.
 
well, i know that dA/dt = 2pi*radius*dr/dt, but I don't have the radius...
 
Sweetness... Thanks so much! I've been going back and forth thinking that was just too easy. All the problems on this take home quiz have that one extra step you have to go thru to get all the info. It's making me crazy!
 
becca4 said:
It's making me crazy!

Yeah, calculus can do that to you. LOL