Optics (Intensity of light): Which in degrees, which in rad?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about whether the "phase difference" φ in a physics formula should be measured in radians or degrees. The suggestion is to always calculate everything in radians and only use degrees for visualizing angles. Trigonometric functions are always evaluated in radians, and using 3.14 for π in the formula will give the answer in radians, while using 180° will give the answer in degrees. The conversation also mentions that some results may be slightly off due to significant digits.
Const@ntine
This might be a bit of a silly question, but it's been driving me nuts for a couple of hours now. Background first: I'm reading Serway's Physics for Scientists & Engineers, Vol 2 Ed.8, and I'm currently in the Optics Chapters (light and whatnot). In O3.3 (O3 is generally about light going through two openings and meeting up at some point at a surface) it has certain equations/formulas, but the problem is that it doesn't specify if the "phase difference" φ it introduces is measure in radians or degrees, or how the formulas work.

See, thus far I've been working with angles in degrees, so it's so far so good. Then I reached that Part, and it beared enough simalirites with the Wave Functions (it even points it out) from previous Chapters, so I figured φ would be measured in rad. Here are the given equations:

φ = 2π*d*sinθ/λ
φ is the Phase Difference, d is the distance between the two openings, and λ thus far has been the length of the light wave.

I = Imax*cos2(π*d*sinθ/λ)=Imax*cos2(φ/2)
I is the intensity that we can measure at the point the two waves meet.

My problem is that when I moved on to the exercises, I couldn't make any sense of it. I assumed that θ would be measured traditionaly in degrees, and when the time came to compute/measure φ, I'd turn my findings into radians. As we know, π = 3.14 rad = 180 degrees. But all of my results are out of whack. Sometimes I get the correct answer by not turning degrees into rads. Others I turn them, and I get slightly different results.

Can anyone who's read this explain to me what I'm missing? If you want I can post an exarcise as an example.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
In physic's formulas everything is in radians. Forget the degree. The π is 3.14. Period. So my suggestion is to always calculate everything in radians (and turn calculator mode to rad). Degrees are used only when you need to visualize angles of the triangle, because we are more comfortable to think about 90° degree angle and not some odd 1.57 rad angle which sounds scary (but is the same). Also note that all angles that came in physics formulas and are expressed in degrees always ends under trigonometric function (sin, cos, tan, etc.). Therefore it is does not matter if you enter degree or radians if you evaluate trigonometric function correctly it equalizes everything.

Note, that people tend to imagine the phase also like a triangle (45 degree phase, 180 degree phase end etc.), so most often they depict it in degrees. Simple rule of thumb: if you have the numbers and the phase is really small (lets say <10) - it is probably depicted in radians, otherwise it is degrees. And when you make calculations and see π in equation, just put 3.14 and calculate everything in radians.

Last edited:
Domullus said:
In physic's formulas everything is in radians. Forget the degree. The π is 3.14. Period. So my suggestion is to always calculate everything in radians (and turn calculator mode to rad). Degrees are used only when you need to visualize angles of the triangle, because we are more comfortable to think about 90° degree angle and not some odd 1.57 rad angle which sounds scary (but is the same). Also note that all angles that came in physics formulas and are expressed in degrees always ends under trigonometric function (sin, cos, tan, etc.). Therefore it is does not matter if you enter degree or radians if you evaluate trigonometric function correctly it equalizes everything.

Alright, I'll try that and report back. But to make it clear, you're basically saying that if I have my calculator turned to rad, even if I calculate θ in radians, there won't be a problem, right? So I should just go ahead and use radians for everything.

I was sure that trigonometric function = radians, but I've been getting some weird results in these exercises (they're like, 5, so it's not of huge importance, but I want to know). Anyway, I'll try again and come back.

Thanks!

Just look at the first formula:

φ = 2π*d*sinθ/λ

θ -
could be in radians or degrees - it does not matter because if it is radians, your calculate sinθ in (rad) mode, if it is degrees - then in deg mode. You will get the same result. Now what is φ. See the in the formula. If you insert 3.14 here, you get φ in radians, if 180° - you get answer in degrees. Easy as that.

Domullus said:
Just look at the first formula:

φ = 2π*d*sinθ/λ

θ -
could be in radians or degrees - it does not matter because if it is radians, your calculate sinθ in (rad) mode, if it is degrees - then in deg mode. You will get the same result. Now what is φ. See the in the formula. If you insert 3.14 here, you get φ in radians, if 180° - you get answer in degrees. Easy as that.
That's waht I figured, but maybe I got lost somewhere (twas getting pretty late last night). Thanks for the clear-up, I'll try it as soon as possible and see where I was wrong.

I tried it all in rads (all 5 exercises) and yeah, it works. Some decimals are a bit of (I get 0.969 and he gets 968) but it's probably a Significant Digits issue.

Thanks again for the help!

1. What is the difference between degrees and radians in optics?

The difference between degrees and radians in optics is the unit of measurement for angles. Degrees are commonly used in everyday life and are based on a circle divided into 360 equal parts. Radians, on the other hand, are based on the ratio of the length of an arc to the radius of a circle. In optics, radians are often used in calculations and equations due to their simpler relationship with the underlying mathematics.

2. How do you convert degrees to radians in optics?

To convert degrees to radians in optics, you can use the formula: radians = degrees x (π/180). This means that to convert from degrees to radians, you multiply the number of degrees by π/180. For example, 45 degrees is equal to 45 x (π/180) = 0.785 radians.

3. Why are radians preferred over degrees in optics?

Radians are preferred over degrees in optics because they have a more direct relationship with the underlying mathematical principles. This makes calculations and equations involving angles and light intensity simpler and more accurate. Additionally, radians are a dimensionless unit, which means they can be used in a wider range of calculations without the need for unit conversions.

4. Can light intensity be measured in both degrees and radians?

Yes, light intensity can be measured in both degrees and radians. However, when measuring light intensity in degrees, it is often converted to radians for more accurate calculations and equations. Radians are also the preferred unit of measurement for light intensity in most scientific and technical applications.

5. How does the intensity of light change with angle in optics?

The intensity of light changes with angle in optics because of the phenomenon known as the inverse square law. This law states that the intensity of light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source. As the angle of light changes, the distance from the source also changes, causing a corresponding change in light intensity. Additionally, the angle at which light strikes a surface can affect the amount of light reflected or refracted, further impacting light intensity.