Relating radius and angular freq of an rotating object

In summary: I don't understand your explanation.You provided a mathematical description, but I am looking for a physical explanation.
serverxeon

Homework Statement

xa2s8.png

an ball of mass m is connected by a string with spring constant k, to a rotating shaft.

Find a relation between the radius of the circle, and the angular frequency.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let:
Natural length of spring = x0
Extension of spring = x
Radius of circle = r = x + x0

Centripetal force = Force due to spring
mrω2 = kx = k(r-x0)
Make r the subject,
mrω2 = kr-kx0
kx0=kr-mrω2
kx0=r(k-mω2)
r=[itex]\frac{kx_{0}}{k-m\omega^{2}}[/itex]
--------------
The expression indicates that there is an asymptote when [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

Does this means the rotation can never hit this angular velocity?

Physics news on Phys.org
serverxeon said:
r=[itex]\frac{kx_{0}}{k-m\omega^{2}}[/itex]
--------------
The expression indicates that there is an asymptote when [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]

Does this means the rotation can never hit this angular velocity?

Yes. You can also express ω in terms of r:

[itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}(1-\frac{x_0}{r})}[/itex]
ω would be equal to the "natural frequency" at infinite radius.

ehild

but expressing ω in terms of radius, i get an asymptote.
what is the physical meaning of this mathematical constraint?

If the object performs SHM, the angular frequency is √(k/m) neither higher nor less. Now the object moves along a circle. r is its distance from the origin. It can not be negative. So ω can not exceed √(k/m)

ehild

sorry, I don't understand your explanation.
You provided a mathematical description, but I am looking for a physical explanation.

I know that r cannot be negative and hence ω can not exceed √(k/m). I can see that mathematically.

So what happens if I attach a motor to the rotating shaft and drive the shaft at an angular freq higher than √(k/m)?

serverxeon said:
So what happens if I attach a motor to the rotating shaft and drive the shaft at an angular freq higher than √(k/m)?

The spring would break or deform. Hooke's law isn't an exact law, its just an experimental approximation for stresses below a certain threshold. You would cross that threshold by pumping omega, since the spring can only stretch out so far. Springs stop being springs (perhaps permanently) when you stretch them beyond their limit.

If you had an infinitely long wire and wound it into an infinitely long spring and could somehow drive it up to that omega with the mass stretching out that far I don't know what would happen since that it isn't really physical.

serverxeon said:
sorry, I don't understand your explanation.
You provided a mathematical description, but I am looking for a physical explanation.

I know that r cannot be negative and hence ω can not exceed √(k/m). I can see that mathematically.

The relation between r and ω holds for the stationary solution. In real life, everything is in rest initially, before switching the motor on.
The motor exerts some torque τ, and the torque accelerates rotation: dω/dt=τ/I. The moment of inertia I=mr2 increases with r as ω increases, and the applied torque becomes less and less effective to increase ω.There is a limit for ω that can not be exceeded by a given torque.

ehild

Last edited:

What is the relationship between the radius and angular frequency of a rotating object?

The radius and angular frequency of a rotating object are directly related. The angular frequency is equal to the linear velocity divided by the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the angular frequency decreases, and vice versa.

How does changing the radius affect the angular frequency of a rotating object?

As the radius of a rotating object increases, the angular frequency decreases. This is because the linear velocity of the object decreases as the distance from the center increases, resulting in a slower rotation.

What is the significance of the radius in the rotation of an object?

The radius of an object is an important factor in determining its angular frequency and overall rotational behavior. It determines the distance between the object's center of rotation and the outer edge, which affects the speed and strength of its rotation.

How does the angular frequency of a rotating object affect its period?

The period of a rotating object is inversely proportional to its angular frequency. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the period decreases, resulting in a faster rotation. Similarly, a lower angular frequency will result in a longer period and a slower rotation.

What is the formula for calculating the angular frequency of a rotating object?

The angular frequency of a rotating object can be calculated using the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular frequency in radians per second, v is the linear velocity in meters per second, and r is the radius in meters.