1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relating variables: weight, gear ratio, power/torque to make design estimations

1. Oct 22, 2014 #1
    hey all, I'm stumped so I thought I'd try posting here.
    I am in the early stages of design of a vehicle where we have a rough approximation of weight, no idea what gear ratios or power/torque to use yet, but have an acceleration requirement. I am trying to graphically model the relationship between some of these parameters to help get some design drivers. Any idea how I could proceed? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2014 #2
    I should mention, nothing needs to even be close to exact, I just want some rough correlations plotted to compare different design alternatives. Thanks again!

4. Oct 22, 2014 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can used this acceleration simulator. It gives you the acceleration potential of a vehicle based on power, weight and tire friction coefficient. It can be more precise if you know other vehicle characteristics like aerodynamics, weight distribution, etc. The theory behind it is explained on the website.

5. Oct 22, 2014 #4
    Oh man. That's everything I wanted and then some.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook