1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between Cooling rate and Viscosity in Newtonian fluid

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    Relation between Cooling rate and Viscosity

Hi all

I have a situation where i have a molten Aluminium Copper alloy melt poured in a mould
    to be solidified. This means, the mould temperature is lower than than than the poured melt. I am thinking about a relation which associates temperature or temperature gradient across the fluid in the mould or the cooling rate because of the temperature gradient with the viscosity situation in the melt.
    Please suggest expression(s) for the same in such a case.

P.S.: Correction: Assumption is non-Newtonian

Best Regards
    Ronin

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see why the viscosity would matter here. This problem seems to be to be dominated by conduction, which really only depends the thermal conductivity of the materials in question. Barring a very low viscosity material, I wouldn't expect there to be enough flow for convection to play any important role.

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    @boneh3ad

According to Krieger Rheological model, viscosity depends on the developing solid fraction in a solidification process and i am dealing with flow in micro range here. So, it is important for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook