Relation between cross section, scattering angle and KE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between cross section, scattering angle, and kinetic energy. The speaker is trying to calculate the cross section using given values of kinetic energy and scattering angle, but is having trouble deriving an equation. They mention using alpha particles and a gold atom in Rutherford Scattering. The listener suggests looking for formulas and derivations online or seeking help in a homework forum.
says
I'm trying to figure our the relation between cross section, scattering angle and KE?

I'm doing a few exercises where I've been given kientic energy and scattering angle and have to calculate the cross section. Cross section is in units of Barns (m2), and KE is 1/2 kg*m2*s-2, but I can't seem to derive an equation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
What is the set up? Are you shooting particles at a spherical target?

Yes. Shooting alpha particles at a gold atom. It's Rutherford Scattering.

There must be thousands of web pages with formulas for the Rutherford scattering cross section, and derivations of them, if it's not in your textbook:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rutherford+scattering+cross+section

Are you having trouble trying to apply some version of those formulas? If so, I suggest you choose one, make an attempt at the solution to one of your exercises, and then post in one of our homework forums for help.

Likes DuckAmuck

1. What is the relationship between cross section, scattering angle, and kinetic energy (KE)?

The cross section, scattering angle, and kinetic energy are all related through the Rutherford scattering formula, which states that the cross section is directly proportional to the square of the scattering angle and inversely proportional to the kinetic energy. This means that as the scattering angle increases, the cross section also increases, but as the kinetic energy increases, the cross section decreases.

2. How does increasing the scattering angle affect the cross section?

As the scattering angle increases, the cross section also increases. This is because a larger scattering angle means that more particles are being scattered in different directions, resulting in a larger cross section for the scattering event.

3. What happens to the kinetic energy if the scattering angle is held constant?

If the scattering angle is held constant, the kinetic energy will have no effect on the cross section. This is because the kinetic energy is inversely proportional to the cross section, so if one is held constant, the other will not change.

4. How does the cross section change with increasing kinetic energy?

As the kinetic energy increases, the cross section decreases. This is because as the particles have more energy, they are less likely to be scattered by the target, resulting in a smaller cross section for the scattering event.

5. Can the relationship between cross section, scattering angle, and kinetic energy be applied to all types of scattering processes?

While the Rutherford scattering formula is commonly used to describe the relationship between these variables, it may not be applicable to all types of scattering processes. The specific equations and relationships will depend on the type of interaction between the particles and the target, so it is important to consider the specific context when studying the relation between cross section, scattering angle, and kinetic energy.