1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between energy annd pressure

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    Me and and my friend were having discussion about the motion of molecules of gas.We talked about their velocity ,kinetic energy and much more. He asked me to derive a relation between pressure and energy. I was unable to explain him that... Can anyone explain the relation?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How would you begin? What information do you have?

4. Jan 22, 2015 #3
    P=density*Vx*2

T= 2/3k 1/2mv*2

5. Jan 22, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could read up on the gas law, e.g. here
    Your equations feature in there, but one appears molecular to me and the other macroscopic:

##{1\over 2} mv^2 = {3\over 2} kT## average kinetic energy for a molecule.

##P = \rho v_x^2 = {mass\over V} v_x^2 ## may be ok if in the right context.

I can wrangle a bit with formulas: $$ {1\over 2} mv^2 = {3\over 2} kT\ \Rightarrow\ {1\over 2} mv_x^2 = {1\over 2} kT$$ (the energy is equally distributed over the three degrees of freedom),

##\displaystyle \ \Rightarrow\ v_x^2 = {kT\over m} ##

mass = number of molecules * mass of a molecule = number of moles * ##N_A## * mass of a molecule (Avogadro number); write mass = ##n\; N_A\; m##

Leaves

##pV = n\;N_A\;m \ {kT\over m} = n\; N_A \;kT##;

then use

##R_G = N_A \; k## (gas constant) to get the ideal gas law

##pV = nR_GT##.

pressure times volume has the dimension of energy.

It's not the whole story, but quite a big part of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted