Relation between magnetism and material creep

In summary, the author found a connection between material creep and Rabi oscillations in the movement of particles.
witu
TL;DR Summary
Presumption about relation between Bloch equation and solid/fluid volumetric strain rate equation.
Hello,

I am a civil engineer and have been working on concrete creep phenomenon for several years now. After reviewing a large amount of literature on related topics throughout this time, some interesting observations have emerged, and they have formed the idea that the material creep mechanism has some connection with NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance). This is just my presumption and I do not have a hundred percent certainty on this, because I do not have enough competence in magnetism theories, but I still want to justify this my presumption somehow.

• Skeptical
Likes trurle
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bloch equation is empirical (no firm theoretical proof for it). Same applies to creep equation. Similarity of form may indicate in both cases maker of equation have a similar math education background, and do not guarantee more precise forms of equations will still have a matching form.

Welcome to PF.
There is absolutely no evidence that material creep and magnetism are related.

The similarity of a mathematical forms is called an “analog”. For example;
Kinetic energy = half * mass * velocity squared;
Capacitive energy = half * capacitance * voltage squared;
Inductive energy = half * inductance * current squared.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_analog_(electronic)
Correlation does not imply causation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Likes anorlunda
I agree, I also find it odd to associate these two different things, but let's say there is a phenomenon like the Villari effect which links stresses and magnetization. This effect prompted me to use the term "relation".
Okay, apparently I used the wrong term. The term "analog" is also suitable for me. Below I will describe why I do all this.
I am using DEM (Discrete Elements Method) to simulate the compaction of particles in a given volume. My desire is to characterize each particle somehow uniquely in this particle collection.
I did so: until the movement of the particles in the volume stopped, I represented the change of the speed vector position for each particle.

As a result, certain characteristic textures were formed on the surface of the particles: the particles at the top of the volume in question were simply rotating and collinear circles formed on their surface, and the trajectory of the most compressed particles at the bottom of the volume in question received a set of "8" trajectories forming a diamond texture. The movement of these diamond-like particles resembled Rabi oscillations.

After trying to graphically represent the change in the angle of the particle velocity vector, I received spiral graphs similar to free induction decay (FID) in Fourier transform nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.

After all, there is a big surprise when you perform a simple experiment of free fall of particles, but you see all the physics in it and after that, the strangest questions arise :)

As children we often find interesting patterns, but as adults we cannot allow ourselves to become mesmerised or fascinated by what is only a simple analog. At some point we must escape the thrall by exercising the discipline necessary to get on with real science.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. How does magnetism affect material creep?

Magnetism can affect material creep by inducing stress and strain in the material. When a material is exposed to a magnetic field, the magnetic forces can cause the atoms to move and rearrange, leading to changes in the material's internal structure and resulting in creep.

2. What materials are most affected by the relation between magnetism and material creep?

Ferromagnetic materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, are most affected by the relation between magnetism and material creep. This is because these materials have strong magnetic properties and are more susceptible to changes in their internal structure when exposed to a magnetic field.

3. Can magnetism accelerate or slow down material creep?

Yes, magnetism can both accelerate and slow down material creep. The direction and strength of the magnetic field can determine the direction and rate of creep. For example, a strong magnetic field can induce more stress and lead to faster creep, while a weaker magnetic field can have a stabilizing effect and slow down creep.

4. Is there a limit to how much magnetism can influence material creep?

Yes, there is a limit to how much magnetism can influence material creep. The extent to which a material can be affected by magnetism depends on its composition, microstructure, and magnetic properties. Additionally, other factors such as temperature and external forces can also play a role in the material's creep behavior.

5. How can the relation between magnetism and material creep be utilized in practical applications?

The relation between magnetism and material creep has various practical applications, such as in the design of magnetic actuators and sensors. It can also be utilized in the development of new materials with improved creep resistance. Additionally, understanding this relation can help in predicting and preventing material failures caused by creep in magnetic systems.