1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation between stopping distance and Kinetic Energy

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    1. What is the meaning, when a graph of Stopping Distance vs. Kinetic Energy is made, of the slope of the line? Justify this answer by showing how y=mx+b corresponds to the quantities you actually plotted.

D is given in CM, and KE given in [itex]\frac{g\times cm^{2}}{s^{2}}[/itex]

Three points (From lab work):

D = 14.0cm, KE= 344,450[itex]\frac{g\times cm^{2}}{s^{2}}[/itex]
    D = 40.0cm, KE= 911,250[itex]\frac{g\times cm^{2}}{s^{2}}[/itex]
    D = 111.0cm, KE= 2,553,800[itex]\frac{g\times cm^{2}}{s^{2}}[/itex]

Related Equations

W = Fd*cosθ
    KE = (.5)mv^2
    KE(net) = W(net)*d

After doing a basic slope calculation of [itex]\frac{(y-y)}{(x-x)}[/itex], the numbers were inconsistent, and when dividing the units, I couldn't figure out what it represented.

I worked the slope's units out to be [itex]\frac{s^{2}}{g\times cm}[/itex]

I don't know where to go from here. Our physics teacher's answer to questions is that "[we] are accelerated students and should be able to find it out on our own" or that "[we] should see him after school" (which, he is never there). We JUST started working with these problems yesterday, and I want to understand this unit.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Recall the Work-Energy Theorem: Change of KE equal to the work done.
    The object stops, so its KE becomes zero if some force acts along the stopping distance D. So and ΔKE=-KE=W, and W=FDcosθ,so KE=-FDcosθ. The stopping distance vs KE graph corresponds to the function D=KE/(Fcosθ). How does it look like? What is the tangent of the slope? What physical quantity is it?
    As the points scatter a bit you need to fit a straight line to your graph which is as close to all points as possible, and find the slope of that line.

ehild

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3
    Given we are working horizontally with no angle, the function would then be D=KE/F, meaning that the slope represents the amount of force needed to stop the object with the given force at a certain distance?

But I am confused as to where the "/(Fcosθ)" came from?

Wait, I think I got it.

d = [itex]\frac{\frac{1}{2}Mv_{i}^{2}}{f}[/itex]

d = [itex]\frac{KE}{f}[/itex]

y = mx + b

d = m(KE) + 0

d = [itex]\frac{1}{f}\times KE[/itex]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is!!
    So the tangent of the slope is the reciprocal of force.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook