Relation of Energy Fluxes of Two Objects

  • Thread starter Thread starter Airsteve0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Relation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Airsteve0
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Suppose two objects have energy fluxes, f and f + Δf, where
Δf ≪ f. Derive an approximate expression for the magnitude difference
Δm between these objects. Your expression should have Δm
proportional to Δf.


Homework Equations


Δm = m2 - m1 = 2.5 * log(f1/f2)


The Attempt at a Solution


So the issue is that I'm not sure which of these solutions would be the better one to work with. However, I did make an approximation with the one as shown below and I'm not sure if it is quite accurate enough. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

ARRANGEMENT 1: Δm = 2.5 * log(f / f+Δf) = 2.5 * [ log(f) - log (f + Δf)]

or,

ARRANGEMENT 2: Δm = 2.5 * log(f+Δf / f) = 2.5 * log(1 + Δf/f) ≈ 2.5*Δf

The second arrangement seems more correct to me but I would feel more confident with a second opinion.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the reason I have two arrangements is that the question is quite open-ended as to which object has which flux