1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship betweem angle of a ramp and tension in rope

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    In my physics class we did a lab where we attached one end of a string to a .5 kg cart and the other end to a force meter which was all on a ramp. As we increased the angle of the ramp, the tension increased proportionally until the angle reached 45 degrees. From 45 degrees to 90 degrees, as we increased the angle, the tension approached m9.8. I understand why it approaches m9.8, but why does that start at 45 degrees?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    The tension on the rope is equal to the mass of the cart times the sine of the angle of the ramp. For small angles the angle, in radians, is approximately equal to the sine of the angle. As the angle becomes larger the difference becomes larger and it begins to become significant around Pi/4 which is 45°. Try it with a calculator and you'll see what I mean. Set it to radians and enter small values and calculate the sine and you'll see that for small radians angle=sine(angle).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small-angle_approximation

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook