What is the rope tension calculation for assembling transmission tower sections?

In summary, Tim suggests that the tension in the rope, the weight of the section being lifted, and the restraining force of the rope all contribute to the overturning moment. He also points out that a 600 KN capacity rope would be insufficient to restrain the load.
manish98982
Dear Friend,

I am working as Graduate Engineer in transmission line. We assemble and erect transmission tower. I am stuck in one calculation. I got two section of 4 tonne and 7 mt in height.To put this two section together . First section is lifted by crane and a 20 mm rope is attach to the top part of the section.This section is slowly bolted to the leg. we pull rope at 45 degree angle about 7 meter away from the bolted leg of the section to hold the section, rope is attach to the 2.5 tonne four wheel drive Ute. now we realize the chain of the crane so it can lift second section and bring close to the first section so both can bolted together. I need to calculate rope tension on the rope when rope is pulled forward and backward to adjust with second section so it can be bolted.( Note: Rope is attach to Ute, so basically Ute is moved forward and backward ) Please help me out so i can answer my boss. Waiting for reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi manish98982! welcome to pf! :smile:

it''s difficult to tell without seeing a diagram,

but if the only forces on the rod are its weight, the tension in the rope, and the force at the end of the rod where the pivot is,

then taking moments about the pivot, the tension times the distance from the pivot to the rope (measured perpendicularly to the rope) = the weight (mg) times the horizontal distance from the pivot to the centre of mass :wink:

hi manish98982! :smile:
manish98982 said:
Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. As per your request i have attach a rough diagram for you to the situation. please help me out in calculating

1) tension impose on rope due to section
2) center of gravity
3 restrain load impose on rope
4) overturning moment
5) Weather 16 mm polypropylene rope enough to hold restrain rope.Capacity of rope is 600 KN.

no, there's no diagram attached :redface:

can you provide a link to the diagram instead?

in future, please always reply on the thread, not by private message

and it's against forum rules for us to give out (or ask for) email addresses​

1. How do you calculate tension in a rope?

To calculate tension in a rope, you need to know the mass of the object that is being pulled by the rope and the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you can use the formula T = mg, where T is the tension, m is the mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is tension in a rope?

Tension in a rope is the force that is transmitted through the rope when it is pulled or stretched. It is the force that keeps the rope taut and prevents it from breaking under the weight of an object.

3. How does the angle of the rope affect tension?

The angle of the rope affects tension by increasing the force required to keep the rope taut. The smaller the angle, the greater the force needed to maintain tension in the rope.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a rope?

The factors that can affect tension in a rope include the mass of the object being pulled, the acceleration due to gravity, the angle of the rope, the material and thickness of the rope, and any external forces acting on the rope.

5. How is tension in a rope different from weight?

Tension in a rope is a force that is transmitted through the rope, while weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. Tension can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, while weight remains constant unless the mass of the object changes or it is in a different gravitational field.