1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between applied electric field and resulting surface charge desnity

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    I had this problem in my exam. It required me to calculate relative permittivity of a dielectric slab which acquires a surface charge density of 800micro Coulomb/m^2 when subjected to an electric field of 10^8 V/m. Applying E=sigma/(2epsilon), I got relative permittivity as 0.45 which is less than 1. Considering its only a hypothetical question, is my approach right or is it wrong? How can I solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The surface charge density induced in an electric field does not mean that the dielectric slab acquires net charge. Read http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dielec.html
    The permittivity of the dielectric is equal to ε=D/E where D is the electric displacement and E is the electric field. D=ε0E+P , P is the polarization density. The normal component of D is the same inside and outside the dielectric at the surface of the dielectric slab.
    What is D outside? How is P related to the surface charge density?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. Dec 7, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bit confused as to what the problem says. I suppose the idea is the E field outside the slab is 10^8 V/m & you can solve the problem that way. Use a gaussian surface (e.g. "pill box") going from the slab into the external 10^8 V/m field.

But just FYI, if you started with a 10^8 V/m E field and then stuck a slab into it the external E field would itself be altered (raised), depending on the relative thicknesses of the slab and the (presumably) parallel plate separation with E = 10^8 V/m before the slab was introduced, resulting in a higher surface charge density.

5. Dec 7, 2014 #4
    The problems says certain charge density is acquired when subjected to electric field. Nothing else at all

6. Dec 7, 2014 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure. Just do the problem per my first paragraph in my previous post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted