Relationship between diameter and strength of hollow tube

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
ashleytan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I was wondering what is the relationship between 'diameter size' and the strength to flex a hollow tube... is it linear or non-linear?

I'm measuring the flexural load of different hollow tubes (with different diameter size) and looking for a way to normalize the the flexural load data based on their diameters. Is that possible?

I should mention that my aim is to find out the force needed to flex the material in the tubes and my tubes come in different diameters.

Physics is not my forte and any help would be very much appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ashleytan:
It's not physics which will guide you in setting up your experiment and analyzing the data obtained. Strength of Materials or solid mechanics are more pertinent disciplines.
 
I'm not sure and I don't feel like checking, but I believe it depends on diameter^3 or even diameter^4. So no, it's FAR from being linear.
 
Exactly, it cannot be linear. Even Hooke's law is valid only for very small deformations. Experimentation is the best way to check or any analysis software