Relationship between differential pressure and airflow through a filter

In summary, the conversation is about finding a simple expression to predict the differential pressure required to maintain a constant airflow through a filter as it becomes more blocked over time. The individual is having trouble finding this information online and filter manufacturers do not provide it. They are also facing difficulties with correlating pressure drop and filter loading.
ShanePC
I have a question regarding the relationship between differential pressure across a filter, the airflow through the filter and the size of the orifice that the aire is moving through. I would like to be able to predict differential pressure required to maintain a constant airflow as the filter I am using blocks over time.

I am having trouble finding a suitable expression online and Filter Manufacturers do not supply this information with their filters.

Can anybody tell me if there is a simple expression which can be used please?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can assist me!

Shane

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I'm sorry, but this can't work because you have one unknown driving the other: You would have to know the loading of the filter to find the pressure drop on a table or via a formula but the only way to measure filter loading is by measuring the pressure drop!

What you need is to maintain a constant dp across a device known to be fixed, such as a cooling or heating coil. Then the pressure across the filter can fluctuate while keeping the airflow constant.

Thanks for the welcome Russ. I am not an engineer so I am taking time to get through things that probably seem very basic.

In relation to the pressure drop and loading I am working through correlating the two through measurements.

I am using a vacuum pump to generate the flow through the filter but cannot control the pressure or loading across the filter. I know the pressure before and after the filter but not the airflow. Am I dealing with too many unknowns? Thanks for your help.

S.

1. How does differential pressure affect the airflow through a filter?

Differential pressure is the difference in pressure between the upstream (dirty) and downstream (clean) sides of a filter. As the filter becomes clogged with particles, the differential pressure increases and restricts the airflow through the filter. This is due to the resistance created by the particles blocking the air flow.

2. Is there a relationship between the differential pressure and the efficiency of a filter?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the two. As the differential pressure increases, the efficiency of the filter decreases. This is because a higher differential pressure means the filter is becoming clogged and is less able to capture particles, reducing its overall efficiency.

3. How does the type of filter affect the differential pressure?

The type of filter can greatly affect the differential pressure. A filter with a higher efficiency, such as a HEPA filter, will have a higher differential pressure than a filter with a lower efficiency, such as a fiberglass filter. This is because the more efficient filter will capture more particles and become clogged faster, resulting in a higher differential pressure.

4. Can the airflow through a filter be increased by adjusting the differential pressure?

No, the airflow through a filter is not affected by adjusting the differential pressure. The airflow is mainly determined by the size of the filter and the fan speed. Adjusting the differential pressure will only change the resistance and efficiency of the filter, not the overall airflow.

5. How can the differential pressure of a filter be measured?

The differential pressure of a filter can be measured using a manometer, which is a device that measures the pressure difference between two points. One end of the manometer is connected to the upstream side of the filter and the other end to the downstream side. The difference in the liquid levels in the two tubes of the manometer indicates the differential pressure of the filter.