Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Fourier and Mellin transforms

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    Hello,

it is possible to prove that the Mellin transform of a function f(x) can be expressed in terms of Fourier transform, namely:

[tex]\mathcal{M}\{f(x)\}(s) = \mathcal{F}\{f(e^{-x}\}(-is)[/tex]

I am not convinced of that imaginary unit i as argument of the Fourier transform. In fact, since the argument (-is) is imaginary, that is not a Fourier transform anymore.

I don't see I could compute a Mellin transform using a Fourier transform. Am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2
    If you let:

[tex]F(f)=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-i x z} f(x)dx[/tex]

[tex]M(f)=\int_0^{\infty} x^{s-1}f(x)dx[/tex]

can you not let v=-ln(x) in the Mellin integral and come out with:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-izv}f(e^{-v})dv\biggr|_{z=-is}=F(f(e^{-v})\biggr|_{z=-is}[/tex]

4. Aug 17, 2011 #3
    Yes.
    But you plugged -is as argument of the Fourier transform.
    I thought the fourier transform was defined only for real arguments.

In fact, if the argument is real the Fourier bases are complex sinusoids e-isx=cos(x)-isin(x), while if you use imaginary arguments you get real exponential functions esx: sin and cos disappear, the bases are not orthogonal anymore, Fourier integrals might not converge, and some theorems of Fourier theory might not be valid anymore :-|

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  5. Aug 17, 2011 #4
    The arguments for Fourier and Laplace transforms are in general, complex. Also, this is what I did in Mathematica to check this. Notice in th second calculation, you need to substitute s=-iz to obtain the Mellin result

Code (Text):
    f[x_] := Exp[-x^2]

Integrate[x^(s - 1)*f[x], {x, 0, Infinity}]

Integrate[Exp[(-I)*s*x]*f[Exp[-x]],
      {x, -Infinity, Infinity}]

Out[6]=
    ConditionalExpression[(1/2)*Gamma[s/2], Re[s] > 0]

Out[7]=
    ConditionalExpression[(1/2)*Gamma[(I*s)/2],
      Im[s] < 0]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook