Approximating Damped Oscillator Time Period and Frequency with Large n

In summary, in a conversation about the time period of an undamped oscillator compared to a damped oscillator, it was shown that after a large number of oscillations, the ratio of the time periods can be approximated by 1 + 1/8n^2pi^2 for part (a) and 1 - 1/8n^2pi^2 for part (b). This is achieved using an approximation for the square root when x << 1.
Allan McPherson

Homework Statement

An oscillator when undamped has a time period T0, while its time period when damped. Suppose after n oscillations the amplitude of the damped oscillator drops to 1/e of its original value (value at t = 0).

(a) Assuming that n is a large number, show that $$\frac{T}{T_0}=\left (1+\frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2}\right) \approx 1 + \frac{1}{8n^2\pi^2}$$
(b) Assuming that n is a large number, show that $$\frac{\omega}{\omega_0} \approx 1 - \frac{1}{8n^2\pi^2}$$

Homework Equations

$$x(t) = A e^{-\gamma t}cos(\omega t + \phi)$$
$$T = \frac{2 \pi}{\omega}$$
$$\omega = \sqrt{\omega_0^2 - \gamma^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I've managed to get the equality for both parts. We want $$\frac{A}{e} = A e^{-\gamma t}cos(\omega t + \phi)$$
which is only true if
##\gamma n T = 1,## ##\omega n T = 2n\pi## and ##\phi = 2m\pi##​
which implies $$T = \frac{1}{\gamma n} = \frac{2\pi}{\omega}$$
So $$\omega_0 = \gamma\sqrt{1 + 4n^2\pi^2}$$
And
$$\frac{T}{T_0} = \frac{\omega_0}{\omega}=\frac{\gamma\sqrt{1+4n^2\pi^2}}{2n\pi\gamma}$$ $$=\frac{\sqrt{1+4n^2\pi^2}}{4n^2\pi^2} = \left ( 1 + \frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2} \right )^{1/2}$$
The answer to part (b) will clearly involve taking the inverse of the right-hand side of the equality and applying the same or a similar approximation.

I know I've seen this approximation before, but I can't for the life of me remember how it works. l would appreciate any help that can be offered.

Physics news on Phys.org
Allan McPherson said:

Homework Statement

An oscillator when undamped has a time period T0, while its time period when damped ?. Suppose after n oscillations the amplitude of the damped oscillator drops to 1/e of its original value (value at t = 0).

(a) Assuming that n is a large number, show that $$\frac{T}{T_0}=\left (1+\frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2}\right) \approx 1 + \frac{1}{8n^2\pi^2}$$
You miss a square root:
$$\frac{T}{T_0}=\sqrt{\left (1+\frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2}\right)} \approx 1 + \frac{1}{8n^2\pi^2}$$

If x << 1,
##\sqrt{1+x}=\sqrt{(1+x/2)^2-(x/2)^2 }\approx \sqrt{(1+x/2)^2}=1+x/2##

Also ##\frac{1}{1+x}## is the sum of the geometric series 1-x+x^2-x^3+..., approximately 1-x if x << 1.

Allan McPherson said:
$$=\frac{\sqrt{1+4n^2\pi^2}}{4n^2\pi^2} = \left ( 1 + \frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2} \right )^{1/2}$$
You meant
$$=\sqrt{\frac{1+4n^2\pi^2}{4n^2\pi^2}} = \left ( 1 + \frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2} \right )^{1/2}$$

Thank you. That clarifies the approximation for part (a). I'm not sure how that helps with part (b), though.

For part (b) I have $$\frac{\omega}{\omega_0} = \frac{2n\pi}{\sqrt{1+4n^2\pi^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{4n^2\pi^2}{1+4n^2\pi^2}} = \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2}}$$

Last edited:
Allan McPherson said:
Thank you. That clarifies the approximation for part (a). I'm not sure how that helps with part (b), though.

For part (b) I have $$\frac{\omega}{\omega_0} = \frac{2n\pi}{\sqrt{1+4n^2\pi^2}} = \sqrt{\frac{4n^2\pi^2}{1+4n^2\pi^2}} = \sqrt{1 - \frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2}}$$
Let be ##x=-\frac{1}{4n^2\pi^2}## . |x|<<1, apply the approxiamation for the square root as in Post #2.

Last edited:
Right. Looking at that again, I'm not sure how I thought that could be right. Thank you for your help.

What is an approximation to square root?

An approximation to square root is a value that is close to the actual square root of a number, but not necessarily exact. It is used to simplify calculations and make them more manageable.

What is the purpose of using an approximation to square root?

The purpose of using an approximation to square root is to make calculations easier and more efficient. It allows for quicker estimation of values and can help in situations where an exact answer is not needed.

How is an approximation to square root calculated?

An approximation to square root is typically calculated using a method called "guess and check". This involves selecting a number that is close to the actual square root and then adjusting it until the desired level of accuracy is reached.

What are some common methods for approximating square roots?

Some common methods for approximating square roots include the Babylonian method, the Newton's method, and the continued fraction method. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and is used in different situations.

What are some practical applications of using an approximation to square root?

Approximations to square roots are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. They can also be used in daily life for quick estimations, such as calculating the length of a diagonal in a square or the amount of paint needed for a room.