1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between the number of fuel elements and criticality

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    I usually do not ask for this kind of stuff, but this time I really have no way to verify if this is correct(and it has to be). So here it goes: On a subcritical nuclear reactor with 100 fuel elements we read the signal of 10e-9 A. When we add 10 more fuel elements, signal jumps to 10e-8 A. How many rods do we have to add, to make the reactor critical? So, I know the relationships between reactivity/neutron flux/criticality/signal, but I have no idea how are they dependend on the number of fuel elements?

Usually, I would have to solve the diffusion equation, but this exercise gives no data about reactor geometry, so.. do you guys have any idea what this could be about?

------
    Could the admin move this to Homework section please? I have not seen it before..

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Moved .

Now, how far have you got?

4. May 21, 2013 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Moved .

Now, how far have you got?

5. May 22, 2013 #4
    Well I know that [itex]I \propto \frac{1}{1-k}[/itex], where I is the signal on the detector. But I can only guess how I is dependent on the number of fuel elements(increases by an order of magnitude for each 10 rods?) .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted