1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Trace and Determinant of Unitary Matrices

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If U is a 2 x 2 unitary matrix with detU=1. Show that |TrU|≤2. Write down the explicit form ofU when TrU=±2

2. Relevant equations

Not aware of any particular equations other than the definition of the determinant and trace.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted this problem in several different ways to no avail. I'm pretty sure that the explicit form of U when the trace is 2 is simply the 2 x 2 identity matrix.

I do know that

Tr(AB) ≠ Tr(A)Tr(B)

and

U*U = I

but not sure where to go with this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2
    remember that for diagonal matrices the determinant is given by the product of the eigenvalues

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Perhaps you can use one of the equivalent definitions of a unitary matrix?
    See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_matrix
    I'm thinking that the columns of a unitary matrix form an orthonormal basis...

5. Mar 25, 2012 #4
    Sgd37 I am aware that the product of the eigenvalues has to be 1, but there are an infinite number of combinations that I can create. I'm not sure if the eigenvalues have to be real or not since I don't think that the unitary matrix is necessarily Hermitian.

I'm probably missing something simple.

Thanks so much.

6. Mar 25, 2012 #5

I like Serena

Homework Helper

In an orthonormal basis, the vectors have length 1.
    So the highest value in such a vector is 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook