1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between Velocity, Kinetic Energy and Mass

1. Jun 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2016-6-3_3-53-33.png
    upload_2016-6-3_4-10-39.png

2. Relevant equations
    i) F=ma=mv/t
    ii) E=mv2/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Now based on equation 1 , I have concluded that the velocity gained is inversely proportional to m, and that so is the kinetic energy , I have seen otherwise.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How can you conclude that if equation 1 does not contain any distance/displacement at alll ? You need other equations !

4. Jun 3, 2016 #3
    Oh hmmmm, x=at^2/2, which means, a=2x/t^2, which means that mv/t=2mx/t^2=F, so does this mean they are independent , I am sorry , I am a little weak.Could you please elaborate?

5. Jun 3, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

mv/t = F doesn't help you if you don't know how t depends on m.

Would the exercise be easier for you if the text would read:

You have a force ##F## to accelerate a mass ##m## from rest with constant acceleration over a distance ##d##. What is the final velocity ?​

6. Jun 3, 2016 #5
    I think I see something , the energy gained by the system would be Fd=mad, so this implies that mv^2/2=mad, v^2/2=ad, so this would mean the kinetic energy is independent of m ? Further a=F/m , v=sqrroot(Fd/m), does that mean v varies in an inverse proportion with sqrt(m)

7. Jun 3, 2016 #6
    Sir ?

8. Jun 3, 2016 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Correct
    Bingo.

Can you also do the alternative route ? ## \ d = {1\over 2} at^2\ ## tells you ##\ t \propto \sqrt d\ ## and you already had ##\ mv/t = F ##

9. Jun 3, 2016 #8
    Thank you so much sir , I get it now

10. Jun 3, 2016 #9
    Hmmmmm

11. Jun 3, 2016 #10
    Right , I get back the same place sir, thank you so much sir , that helped alot.

12. Jun 3, 2016 #11

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmm as in "delicious" or Hmmm as in "I don't belive a word of what I read" :smile: ?

13. Jun 3, 2016 #12
    lol "hmmm" as in intriguing

14. Jun 3, 2016 #13

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, posts crossed. Well done. On to the next exercise.

PS
    You have a force ##F## to accelerate a mass ##m## from rest with constant acceleration over a distance ##d##. What is the final velocity ?​
    was meant to seduce you to calculate v as a function of knowns:
    $$\ d = {1\over 2} at^2\ \Rightarrow t = \sqrt{2d\over a} \Rightarrow v = at = {F\over m} \sqrt{2dm\over F} \Rightarrow v\propto 1/\sqrt m$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted