Relationship of curl and cross product.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
10Exahertz
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I am very confused on how to define the vector product or cross product in a physical sense. I know the vector product is a psuedovector, and that it is the area of a parallelogram geometrically. However, I know it used used to describe rotation in physics. As with torque, magnetism and angular momentum. I was wondering how the curl operator plays a role in determining the vectors direction in a cross product or vector product, and why its magnitude is its parallelograms area. I understand the curl operator, but for some reason cannot directly connect it to a cross product to understand it.
much thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In modern notation, the curl of A is written ##\nabla \times \mathbf{A}##.
It is the cross product of the "del" operator ##\nabla## with the vector. The "del" operator is basically shorthand for
##\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\hat{e}_x + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\hat{e}_y + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\hat{e}_z##

You should verify when you calculate the cross product between "del" (treated like a vector) and A, you get curl A. (Del is actually a vector operator.)