Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship of curl and cross product.

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    Hi all, I am very confused on how to define the vector product or cross product in a physical sense. I know the vector product is a psuedovector, and that it is the area of a parallelogram geometrically. However, I know it used used to describe rotation in physics. As with torque, magnetism and angular momentum. I was wondering how the curl operator plays a role in determining the vectors direction in a cross product or vector product, and why its magnitude is its parallelograms area. I understand the curl operator, but for some reason cannot directly connect it to a cross product to understand it.
    much thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2015 #2
    In modern notation, the curl of A is written ##\nabla \times \mathbf{A}##.
    It is the cross product of the "del" operator ##\nabla## with the vector. The "del" operator is basically shorthand for
    ##\nabla = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\hat{e}_x + \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\hat{e}_y + \frac{\partial}{\partial z}\hat{e}_z##

You should verify when you calculate the cross product between "del" (treated like a vector) and A, you get curl A. (Del is actually a vector operator.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook