1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship of simple pendulum

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    hi guys,

I'm currently working on a physics report about a simple pendulum and cant figure out how to answer one of the questions:

3. "define all terms in the solution(x(t)=Acos(ωt)) and especially the relationship between angular frequency, and periodic time, T."

ive defined all the terms, A is amplitude, ω is angular frequency etc. but have no clue of the relationship between angular frequency, and periodic time?????

I know that ω=2∏/T = 2∏f

and

T=2∏√l/g

but don't get their relationship?

any help will be great.

cheers,
    Joel C.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

This is your relationship here.

The other formula you gave just gives the periodic time as a function of length.

4. May 4, 2013 #3
    Thanks mate.

So I something like "it can be established that the relationship between angular frequency and period time is:

ω=2∏f"

Do I say anything else? There is 2∏ in both equations, is that some sort of relationship?

Cheers,
    Joel

5. May 4, 2013 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The only other relation would be T=2π√(l/g), but generally you can leave it as that.

In the derivation for the periodic time, you get to a point where ω2= g/l and that ω=2π/T as per its definition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook