1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Relative speed : Two trains crossing each other

1. Oct 6, 2016 #1
    Two trains having lengths of 120 m and 100 m are running in the opposite directions with velocities 40 km/h and 50 km/h . In what time they will completely cross each other? In the solution it's given that
    Time taken by the two trains to cross each other = sum of length of trains/relative speed of trains
    I fail to understand the above formula . How are the lengths of trains relevant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't understand why the length of a train is relevant to how long it takes it to pass something?

4. Oct 6, 2016 #3
    Should not the question mention what their (the two train's) initial separation was?

5. Oct 6, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

it's not relevant as the timing of the crossing only involves the period that it takes to cross ( pass ) each other. it doesn't matter if they started 10 or 100 km apart
    draw a pic looking down on the 2 trains as they start to cross and one below it when they finish the passing

you didn't answer AT's query as to why the length of each train is important

6. Oct 6, 2016 #5

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It should, along with some other irrelevant info, to train the student's filtering skills.

7. Oct 6, 2016 #6
  8. Oct 6, 2016 #7

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So how far are the ends apart, when the fronts meet? And how fast is that distance reducing?

9. Oct 6, 2016 #8
    Equal to sum of the two train's lengths
    I don't know how to answer this.

10. Oct 6, 2016 #9
    I think it is same as asking time taken by trains to cross each other

11. Oct 6, 2016 #10
    A similar type of problem I have come across is as follows
    Two train each of length 100 m are running on parallel tracks. One overtakes the other in 20 seconds and one crosses the other in 10 second. Calculate the velocities of two trains. I just want to ask what's the difference between overtaking and crossing?

12. Oct 6, 2016 #11

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, closing speed is not the same as duration.

13. Oct 6, 2016 #12

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Direction.

14. Oct 6, 2016 #13
    Could you please explain a bit more?

15. Oct 6, 2016 #14
    Time = distance/ speed
    Time taken by the two trains to cross each other = distance to cross/ relative speed (as both are moving)
    Distance to cross =sum of length of trains
    Therefore
    Time taken by the two trains to cross each other = sum of length of trains/relative speed of trains
    Right?

16. Oct 6, 2016 #15

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

17. Oct 6, 2016 #16
    Could you please elaborate your post #12. I'll be extremely thankful.

18. Oct 6, 2016 #17

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Gracy, I don't think PhysicsForums is helping you. You've asked us about various topics in the past, and now it's clear you haven't learned them.

The problem is that you immediately jump to asking a question here without having put much work into it, and when you are guided by someone towards the answer, you don't try and work it out for yourself, but instead ask for another hint. And another. And another. Eventually, you have been hinted all the way to the answer. Well, you've gotten the answer, but you haven't really learned.

You're going to have to decide if you want to learn or not. If you want to learn, you are going to have to spend more time thinking and working on your own. Actually, I think you have decided - you've decided that so long as you have access to PF, you don't need to learn: you can count on people hinting you all the way to an answer.

19. Oct 6, 2016 #18

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Do you drive any vehicle?

20. Oct 6, 2016 #19

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

This should have been posted in a homework forum.

Thread closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook