Relative to What? An Energy Conundrum

In summary, the first scenario has two masses, each with a certain amount of kinetic energy. When they collide, the kinetic energy is converted to heat. The second scenario has only one mass, and it remains at rest after the collision. This is because momentum is conserved and the total momentum of the system is not zero.
CapnDub
Firstly, I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so if I've posted to the wrong place or somehow violated a forum rule, I apologize in advance. This is the most polite forum I have ever found, and I stand in awe of all of you ladies and gentlemen.

Will one of you--or all of you--please point out the error of my thinking? This has been on my mind for at least a year, and still I cannot find an answer. I've tried to summarize the problem in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• Assume an empty universe.pdf
    215.9 KB · Views: 311
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there! Welcome to the forum. I have taken some screenshots of example 13.2 from Kleppner and Kolenkow "An Introduction to Mechanics". The diagram drawn up by the authors, which should answer your conundrum, is contained in the *first* screenshot. The rest are just there for context. Here they are: http://postimg.org/gallery/1hz05sis/504dc6f9/

EDIT: To clarify, your initial inertial frame in the second scenario is not attached to the second particle. What it is doing is comoving with the particle before the collision; if it were attached to the second particle then it wouldn't be an inertial frame because the particle's velocity does not remain constant. Immediately after the collision, the particle that the inertial frame was comoving with changes velocity after sticking onto the first particle and hence is now moving with respect to this inertial frame i.e. the inertial frame is no longer comoving with the second particle.

Last edited:
Welcome to our forums.

Once again, all the energy will be converted to heat.
There is the error. In the second case, you have to keep the reference frame (a change of reference frames does not preserve energy values), so the two masses will move after the collision in your reference frame - and this accounts for the difference of mv^2.

This looks more like classical mechanics, so I moved the thread.

In the first case, the total momentum of the system is zero. So after the collision the total mass is at rest, and all of the kinetic energy of motion (m v^2, assuming each ball has mass m and |velocity| v) is converted to heat, as you said. In the frame where you are sitting on one of the balls of bubble gum, the total momentum of the system is not zero. Since momentum is conserved, the total mass is not at rest after the collision, but will be moving with velocity v. So the total mass has a kinetic energy after the collision of m v^2 ( (1/2) * 2m * v^2). Since the initial KE of the incoming mass was 2m v^2, as you said, m v^2 of it was converted to heat, the same as in the first case.

I Think I Have It

Thank all. I think I see the answer in momentum. Phyzguy, you did it. Ich verstehe! Thanks to all. I will publish my perception of your explanations as an addendum to my previous summary, hoping you will check out my reasoning.

Y'all have preserved my sanity.

I think I've got it now. As promised, I've attached the original summary (notation slightly changed for clarity) with an addendum reflecting my new thinking.

I've found that when I'm trying to understand something it is most helpful to explain it to someone else, but the problem is finding someone willing to listen. Thus, I often resort to explaining to myself by writing a summary. If it seems I've gone all the way around the barn to get to the door, please understand that I was explaining it to a dummy, namely, me.

Please review what I've added and comment, if you like.

Attachments

• Assume an empty universe.docx
    53.1 KB · Views: 233

What is "Relative to What? An Energy Conundrum" about?

"Relative to What? An Energy Conundrum" is a scientific concept that explores the idea of energy being relative and dependent on perspective. It challenges the traditional understanding of energy as a fixed and absolute concept, and suggests that it is actually relative to the observer's frame of reference.

How does the concept of relativity apply to energy?

The concept of relativity in energy refers to the idea that energy is not a static or absolute quantity, but rather depends on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the measurement of energy can vary depending on the observer's perspective and the conditions of the system being observed.

What are some real-life examples of the relativity of energy?

One example of the relativity of energy is the measurement of an object's kinetic energy. The amount of kinetic energy an object has can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference. For example, an object may appear to have more kinetic energy when observed from a moving train than when observed from a stationary platform.

Another example is the measurement of gravitational potential energy. The amount of gravitational potential energy an object has can vary depending on the observer's location and distance from the object. An object may have more gravitational potential energy when observed from a farther distance compared to when observed from a closer distance.

How does the concept of relativity in energy impact scientific research?

The concept of relativity in energy has a significant impact on scientific research, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It challenges traditional understandings of energy and requires scientists to consider the observer's frame of reference when conducting experiments and making calculations. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of energy.

What are some potential implications of the relativity of energy in our daily lives?

The relativity of energy can have implications in our daily lives, particularly in the way we perceive and use energy. It suggests that the amount of energy something has is not fixed, but rather dependent on our perspective and the conditions of the system. This can impact how we measure and use energy, and may lead to more efficient and effective energy usage in the future.