1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Centre of Momentum Frame

1. Jan 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A partical of mass m ha speed 0.546c relative to inertial frame S. The particle collides with an identical particle at rest in the inertial frame S. Relative to S and in terms of c, what is the speed of S' in which the total momentum of these particles is 0.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can see that in the S' frame, Pa = - Pb so that means that Va = - Vb since both masses are equal. But I just can't get my head around why i need to use special relativity because everything is in reference to the S frame anyway.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's correct, but it doesn't answer the question. They want you to tell them the value of Va. THe naïve non-relativistic answer is that it's half of 0.546c, ie 0.273c but that answer is wrong because it doesn't allow for the fact that, if you choose a frame that has velocity 0.273c relative to the first one, the velocities of the two particles will NOT be 0.273c and -0.273c respectively, because of the relativistic corrections.

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Pa=-Pb and Va=-Vb are not in S.

5. Jan 4, 2016 #4
    S' frame is moving at a velocity v w.r.t S frame.
    Let velocity of Particle 1 = U1 in S frame and particle 2 = U2 in S frame therefore Particle 1 = U1' and particle 2 = U2' in S' Frame
    Since particle 2 is at rest in S frame, its velocity in S' frame is equal to the velocity of the S' frame relative to S i.e. v=u2'
    So in a centre of momentum frame u2'= - u1' = v

Using Einstein velocity addition formulas and setting c to 1

u2' = ( u2 - v ) / (1-v/c) = v

When solved gives v = 0.297c

Does this seem right?

6. Jan 4, 2016 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted