Relativistic effects on planetary shear [tidal forces]

In summary: Therefore, there would be no significant differential tidal force across the planet, resulting in minimal effects on the geologic behavior of the planet. In summary, the extreme speed of light would not greatly impact the geologic behavior of a planet, as the internal frame of reference remains the same and there would be minimal differential tidal forces.
nearc
Gold Member
before i ask my question i want to review two points:

1. place a body like a moon or a planet near a black hole, as the body approaches the extreme gravity affects the body deferentially.

2. review the tidal forces on Jupiter's moon Io leading to volcanic/tectonic consequences.

now take an identical copy of the Earth and let it head through space with a velocity close the speed of light. even at these fantastic speeds nothing would be different on this new Earth as compared to the original. however, the copy Earth is still rotating so the side that is rotating into the direction of travel is getting even closer the speed of light. while the opposite side rotating away is going slower. even though this difference in velocities is only about 1 km/s can speeds sufficiently close to the speed of light yield a differential tidal force across the planet resulting affects on the geologic behavior of the planet [i.e. earthquacks, tectonics, etc...]?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nearc said:
before i ask my question i want to review two points:

1. place a body like a moon or a planet near a black hole, as the body approaches the extreme gravity affects the body deferentially.

2. review the tidal forces on Jupiter's moon Io leading to volcanic/tectonic consequences.

now take an identical copy of the Earth and let it head through space with a velocity close the speed of light. even at these fantastic speeds nothing would be different on this new Earth as compared to the original. however, the copy Earth is still rotating so the side that is rotating into the direction of travel is getting even closer the speed of light. while the opposite side rotating away is going slower. even though this difference in velocities is only about 1 km/s can speeds sufficiently close to the speed of light yield a differential tidal force across the planet resulting affects on the geologic behavior of the planet [i.e. earthquacks, tectonics, etc...]?

As far as the copy Earth is concerned it isn't moving at all, so there would be no stress. In fact since there is no moon, there would be less stress.

You COULD include the moon. Nothing would change. Physics is (are?) the same in every inertial reference frame. It might look strange to an outsider, but that's just too bad. Our Earth would look that way to an observer moving by at relativistic speeds.

PatrickPowers said:
As far as the copy Earth is concerned it isn't moving at all, so there would be no stress.

yes that is the standard answer [i.e. the internal frame of reference can be treated as if it were a rest] and in most cases that is true, but in some of the extreme cases not necessarily; i want to look closer at these extremes. if our copy Earth was headed into a black hole to an outside observer their would be a time dilation but observers on the planet would not think time was slowing down: yet, bad things will happen to this planet.

so let's pull our copy Earth out of the black hole and place it back on its near speed of light velocity and since it is rotating then one side of the planet will be much more massive than the the other, would this not lead to tidal forces? [these are like the black hole tidal forces not moon-ocean tides]. plus the rotating will constantly change the parts the planet that are heavy and light.

There is no stress. Contrary to popular belief, moving at high velocities does not increase your mass. Objects moving near the speed of light do not collapse into black holes. It is only when you compare two different frames that you can even include things like kinetic energy into it. In such a case the energy would be found within the entire Earth, not just one side of it. Only then can you look at the different sides of the Earth and how it is rotating.

Yes, relativistic effects can have an impact on planetary shear and tidal forces. As the velocity of the planet increases, the difference in velocities on different sides of the planet also increases, resulting in a greater differential force. This can lead to changes in the planet's geologic behavior, such as increased seismic activity and tectonic movement. Additionally, the extreme gravitational forces near a black hole can also affect the planet's structure and cause changes in its geologic activity. Further research and study on this topic is needed to fully understand the extent of these effects and their potential consequences for planets in close proximity to black holes or traveling at high speeds.

1. What are relativistic effects on planetary shear?

Relativistic effects on planetary shear refer to the changes in a planet's shape and rotation caused by the influence of gravitational forces from other massive objects, such as stars or moons. These effects are described by Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How do relativistic effects impact tidal forces?

Relativistic effects can significantly alter the magnitude and direction of tidal forces on a planet. This is because as a planet is pulled towards a massive object, such as a star, its shape and rotation are affected, which in turn affects the distribution of mass on the planet and therefore the strength and direction of tidal forces.

3. Do all planets experience relativistic effects on tidal forces?

Yes, all planets are subject to relativistic effects on tidal forces. However, the magnitude of these effects depends on the mass and distance of the planet from other massive objects, as well as the planet's own mass and rotation.

4. Can relativistic effects on planetary shear cause significant changes in a planet's orbit?

Yes, relativistic effects on planetary shear can cause small changes in a planet's orbit over time. This is because as the shape and rotation of a planet are altered, the distribution of mass on the planet also changes, which can affect the gravitational forces acting on the planet and potentially alter its orbit.

5. Are there any observable consequences of relativistic effects on planetary shear?

Yes, there are several observable consequences of relativistic effects on planetary shear. These include changes in a planet's shape and rotation, variations in the strength and direction of tidal forces, and small changes in a planet's orbit over time. These effects can be studied and measured using astronomical observations and simulations.