1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic electron in static electric field

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Electron placed in static electric field [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = -[tex]\Psi[/tex][tex]\hat{x}[/tex] , its initial velocity is 0. Calculate V(t).

2. Relevant equations

[tex]F_{e}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex]p(t)

p(t) = [tex]\gamma[/tex](t)mv(t)

Gamma is 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) of course

3. The attempt at a solution

This is how I go about it and want to know if I'm on the right track.

i) First you multiply the electric field by the charge of an electron to get:

[tex]F_{e}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{d}{dt}[/tex]p(t) = e[tex]\Psi[/tex]

ii) Then you integrate wrt time to get:

p(t) = e[tex]\Psi[/tex]t

iii) Then you relate momentum to velocity by:

p(t) = [tex]\gamma[/tex]mv(t)

iv) Finally you solve for V(t) from the above equation, expressing gamma explicitly I get the following formula:

v(t) = [tex]\frac{e{\Psi}t}{m}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{1}{ {\sqrt{1+ {\frac{ e^{2}{\Psi}^{2}t^{2} }{ m^{2}c^{2} }} }} }[/tex]

Does this seem to be the right method? I have to integrate this eventually to get x(t)..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    This doesn't seem right because V(t) is unbounded as t goes to infinity and thus we would pass the speed of light correct?

4. Jan 28, 2009 #3

turin

Homework Helper

No. This expression

approaches c as t goes to infinity.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. Jan 28, 2009 #4
    So maybe I am on the right track. Just curious, how do you get that limit? Do you have to binomial expand the square root?

6. Jan 28, 2009 #5

turin

Homework Helper

I don't know what you mean by that, but probably not. After you do about 100 million of these kinds of limits, you just start to smell the approach. In this case, I just know that the other stuff under the radical will be much larger than 1, so I ignore the 1. The rest is straightforward. I think the more mathy way to do it is to divide top and bottom by t or something ...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?