Relativistic field of moving charge. Why is it symmetric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the field of a moving charge. The speaker's intuition suggests that the field should be different when the charge is in motion compared to when it is at rest. However, this is not the case, as the field will not be the regular Coulomb field. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering Maxwell's equations when studying the field of a moving charge.
Luis Babboni
Hi people!
First of all, sorry for my poor english.

I read in many places and I did the calculus and I agree that the field of a moving charge have this aspect:
campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento.jpg

(Taked from Feynman´s Lectures on Physics chapter 26th.)

But my problem is in that my intuition says me that it must be something like this:
campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento%202.jpg

I´m talking just about intensity in the same direcction of v, I still not work with perpendicular to v intensity.

My reasoning to say that is the following:

When in an innertial system where Q1 and Q2 are at rest both at distance L of to Q0 that is moving to right, cause Q2 "sees" the field produced by Q0 when Q0 was at, say, Q0´ and Q1 "sees" the field produced by Q0 when Q0 was at, say, Q0´´. And cause distance Q1-Q0´´ is smaller than distance Q1-Q0 and distance Q2-Q0´ is greater than distance Q2-Q0, the intensity of the field at Q2 must be smaller than intensity of the field if Q0 is at rest in the same system than Q1 and Q2 (that are the field you see in the next picture) and the intensity of the field at Q1 must be greater than the field if Q0 is at rest in the same system than Q1 and Q2. Ant then you could see something like I draw in the second picture.

Cause I always talk about an inertial system where Q1 and Q2 are at rest and L is a proper distance in it, I do not see the necesity of any Lorentz transformation...

Of course I´m wrong! :-D
But could someone explain me where is my mistake?

Thanks!

campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento%204.jpg

Attachments

• campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento.jpg
    campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 950
  • campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento%202.jpg
    campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento%202.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 338
  • campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento%204.jpg
    campo%20carga%20en%20movimiento%204.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 324
Physics news on Phys.org
Your charges are not at rest. In particular the charge that generates the field you want to look at. Your underlying assumption seems to be that the field will be the regular Coulomb field, just retarded based on the position that is a distance such that a light signal would just propagate from there to the point. This is wrong. Such a solution would not satisfy Maxwell’s equations.

Thanks, it seems i need to put an eye There then. I like the observation that the charge moving is the one that generates the field .

1. What is the relativistic field of a moving charge?

The relativistic field of a moving charge is a phenomenon in physics that describes the interaction between a charged particle and its surrounding space. This field is created by the charged particle and can affect other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. How does the relativistic field of a moving charge differ from a stationary charge?

The relativistic field of a moving charge differs from a stationary charge in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the field of a moving charge will appear different to different observers depending on their relative velocities.

3. Why is the relativistic field of a moving charge symmetrical?

The relativistic field of a moving charge is symmetrical because of the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that no matter where an observer is located in relation to the moving charge, they will measure the same field strength and direction.

4. How does the relativistic field of a moving charge affect nearby charged particles?

The relativistic field of a moving charge can affect nearby charged particles by exerting a force on them. This force is known as the Lorentz force and is a combination of electric and magnetic forces. The strength and direction of this force will depend on the relative velocities of the particles.

5. What are some real-life applications of the relativistic field of a moving charge?

The relativistic field of a moving charge has many real-life applications, including particle accelerators, where it is used to accelerate particles to high speeds. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines, and in the technology of particle detectors and electron microscopes. Understanding this phenomenon is crucial for many modern technologies and advancements in physics.