Relativistic Momentum derivative respect to velocity

In summary, the equation provided is d(γmu) = m(1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2) and the attempt at a solution involved taking out the constant m and using the chain rule to calculate the derivative of γ. However, the correct solution requires using the product rule and then the chain rule to get m(u/c^2)(1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2).
Curtis15

Homework Statement

show the d(γmu) = m(1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2)

Homework Equations

C = constant, m = constant, γ= (1-(u^2/c^2))^(-1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So in calculating d(γmu)/du, I thought I would take out the m first since it is a constant and then just add it in later.

m * d(γu)/du

So I just have to calculate what γ is. γ= (1-(u^2/c^2))^(-1/2), so by chain rule the derivative of this is (-1/2)((1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2) * -2u/c^2. Then I just multiply this by m and I get
m(u/c^2)(1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2).

This differs from the correct solution by the factor (u/c^2) which i got from doing the chain rule and calculating the derivative of the inside with respect to u. If someone could please show me the error in my ways, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it \gamma * m * u ? If so, you must use the product rule first, then the chain rule.

1. What is relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity?

Relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity is a scientific concept that describes the change in momentum of a moving object as a function of its velocity. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How is relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity different from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity differs from classical momentum in that it takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. This results in a slightly different equation for calculating momentum, which becomes more significant at high velocities.

3. What is the formula for calculating relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity?

The formula for calculating relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity is p = mv/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where p is momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity impact our understanding of motion?

Relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity is an important concept in understanding the behavior of objects at high velocities, such as those approaching the speed of light. It also helps to explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which are crucial in the study of special relativity.

5. What are some real-world applications of relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity?

Relativistic momentum derivative respect to velocity has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, where high-speed particles are studied. It also plays a role in the development of advanced technologies, such as particle accelerators and space travel. Additionally, the concept is important in understanding the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near black holes.