Relativistic Momentum derivative respect to velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Curtis15
Messages
23
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



show the d(γmu) = m(1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2)

Homework Equations



C = constant, m = constant, γ= (1-(u^2/c^2))^(-1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution



So in calculating d(γmu)/du, I thought I would take out the m first since it is a constant and then just add it in later.

m * d(γu)/du

So I just have to calculate what γ is. γ= (1-(u^2/c^2))^(-1/2), so by chain rule the derivative of this is (-1/2)((1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2) * -2u/c^2. Then I just multiply this by m and I get
m(u/c^2)(1-(u^2/c^2))^(-3/2).

This differs from the correct solution by the factor (u/c^2) which i got from doing the chain rule and calculating the derivative of the inside with respect to u. If someone could please show me the error in my ways, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org