Relativistically Invariant Tensors

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of invariant tensors under Lorentz transformations. It is mentioned that the metric tensor is one such tensor, and it is asked if it is the unique rank 2 tensor with this property. There is speculation about other ranks, with the conjecture being that there are no invariant tensors of odd rank and that for even ranks, such tensors are completely symmetric and built from the metric tensor. The conversation ends with the mention of a resource for further reading on this topic.
The_Duck
In special relativity, the metric tensor is invariant under Lorentz transformations:

[tex]\Lambda^\alpha{}_\mu \Lambda^\beta{}_\nu g^{\mu \nu} = g^{\alpha \beta}[/tex]

Is this the unique rank 2 tensor with this property, up to a scaling factor? How would I go about proving that?

I know that two rank 4 tensors with this property are the completely antisymmetric [tex]\epsilon^{\mu \nu \sigma \rho}[/tex] and the completely symmetric [tex](g^{\mu \nu} g^{\sigma \rho} + g^{\mu \sigma} g^{\nu \rho} + g^{\mu \rho} g^{\nu \sigma})[/tex]. My guess is that any rank 4 tensor invariant under Lorentz transformations is a linear combination of these two. I haven't been able to prove that, though. Any hints?

What about other ranks? I can see that for even ranks I can go on constructing completely symmetric relativistically invariant tensors from the metric tensor as for rank 4. I can also see that there is no invariant rank 1 tensor. My conjecture is that there are none of odd rank, and that except for the completely antisymmetric rank 4 tensor all such tensors are completely symmetric and built from the metric tensor much like the rank 4 one.

I'm asking about this because I just completed a homework problem which would have taken me about 3 fewer pages if I could have just said, "This completely symmetric tensor is invariant under Lorentz tranformation. Therefore it must have this form: ..."

Physics news on Phys.org
If g and g' are invariant then [itex]g^{-1}g'[/itex] commutes with all [itex]\Lambda[/itex] and therefore g' is proportional to g.

arkajad, thanks, I can see now why there is a unique rank 2 invariant. I've found that chapter 34 of Srednicki's QFT book talks about these "invariant symbols" so I will read that.

1. What does it mean for a tensor to be relativistically invariant?

Relativistically invariant tensors are mathematical objects that remain unchanged under a change of reference frame in Einstein's theory of relativity. This means that their components will have the same numerical values regardless of the observer's perspective.

2. How do relativistically invariant tensors relate to special relativity?

In special relativity, the laws of physics must remain the same for all observers in uniform motion. Relativistically invariant tensors play a crucial role in formulating these laws, as they provide a way to express physical quantities that do not depend on the observer's frame of reference.

3. Can you give an example of a relativistically invariant tensor?

One example of a relativistically invariant tensor is the Minkowski metric tensor, which describes the geometry of spacetime in special relativity. This tensor remains unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which relate measurements made by different observers in relative motion.

4. How are relativistically invariant tensors used in physics?

Relativistically invariant tensors are used in various areas of physics, such as in relativistic mechanics, electrodynamics, and general relativity. They provide a way to describe physical quantities that are consistent for all observers, making them essential for understanding the laws of nature in the framework of relativity.

5. Is there a difference between a tensor and a relativistically invariant tensor?

Yes, there is a difference. A tensor is a mathematical object that transforms according to certain rules under a change of coordinate systems, while a relativistically invariant tensor is a special type of tensor that remains unchanged under a change of reference frame in special relativity. All relativistically invariant tensors are tensors, but not all tensors are relativistically invariant.