Relativity 101: Near speed of light travel

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Chuck37
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I thought I read that if you were in a ship near the speed of light, all the stars would appear to be in front of you. The closer to c you are, the more everything will be collapsed to a cone facing forward. Is that right?

Thinking about it a little from the non-moving frame, it seems like there would be fewer visible stars from forward since photons from stars would have to "lead" the ship by so much that they would always end up coming in nearly from behind. I'm not sure how to think about this in the ship frame though. I think the universe would appear compressed in the direction of flight, but I'm not sure what to do with that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Chuck37 said:
I thought I read that if you were in a ship near the speed of light, all the stars would appear to be in front of you. The closer to c you are, the more everything will be collapsed to a cone facing forward. Is that right?

Thinking about it a little from the non-moving frame, it seems like there would be fewer visible stars from forward since photons from stars would have to "lead" the ship by so much that they would always end up coming in nearly from behind. I'm not sure how to think about this in the ship frame though. I think the universe would appear compressed in the direction of flight, but I'm not sure what to do with that.

Here's a construct that might be helpful.

Imagine a pinhole camera facing straight ahead.

A photon enters at a 45 deg. angle. As it travels to the film plane, the camera is moving forward so it actually intersects the film closer to the center than it would if the camera was not moving. So it appears in the image as if it was coming from an angle closer to straight ahead.
The same effect takes place with photons from positions behind , except the effect is reversed. The motion of the camera while the photon moves from the aperture to the film means the point it hits will be farther from the center than the actual angle so it will appear to be coming from a position more towards the front of the system.
This will of course also take place within an eye ;-)
 
Last edited: