1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity versus Newtonian gravity

1. Jan 4, 2016 #1
    I asked recently on another thread about relativity and its affect on gravitation. I have been informed that gravity is due to how energy bends spacetime, not the Newtonian idea of mass or even the special "relativistic mass."

However this leaves me wondering why general relativity does not involve velocity in its equations. According to E=(mc^2)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), relative velocity does have an impact on the total energy of an object. If so, why is it that an object traveling relative to Earth doesn't produce a larger gravitational attraction to Earth than an object of equal rest mass that is stationary?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2016 #2
    It does. In GR the source of gravity is the stress-energy-tensor which depends on velocity.

4. Jan 4, 2016 #3

Dale

Staff: Mentor

It is the stress energy tensor which includes the density of energy, momentum, and stress.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook