Release of gravitational waves, with small collistions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
DSthe
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I just wanted to ask a question, since it went through my mind after hearing about 'gravitational waves' after they have now, apparently, been identified.

does everything realease gravitational waves when it collides? Since everything with a mass has gravity, wouldn't that mean that even when my pen falls on the floor, gravitational waves would, in theory, be created in a minute amount? or taken to the extream, even two atoms?

By the way, I am not educated in physics (Really don't have much clue about it :p), so I won't understand highly technical answers. It is just a thought, about how i could be rippling spacetime, basically with every movement, and if this is actually the case.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think one has to extrapolate that if really massive objects give off gravity waves then so do really small ones. One must also, however, extrapolate the difficulty of detecting such waves for really massive objects to the point of view that for small objects it's quite likely that there simply IS no instrumentation that could ever detect those waves, much less anything that could do it with our current technology.