Release of gravitational waves, with small collistions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational waves and whether all objects, even small ones like a falling pen, produce them. The speaker also raises the issue of detecting these waves and the limitations of current technology.
DSthe
I just wanted to ask a question, since it went through my mind after hearing about 'gravitational waves' after they have now, apparently, been identified.

does everything realease gravitational waves when it collides? Since everything with a mass has gravity, wouldn't that mean that even when my pen falls on the floor, gravitational waves would, in theory, be created in a minute amount? or taken to the extream, even two atoms?

By the way, I am not educated in physics (Really don't have much clue about it :p), so I won't understand highly technical answers. It is just a thought, about how i could be rippling spacetime, basically with every movement, and if this is actually the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think one has to extrapolate that if really massive objects give off gravity waves then so do really small ones. One must also, however, extrapolate the difficulty of detecting such waves for really massive objects to the point of view that for small objects it's quite likely that there simply IS no instrumentation that could ever detect those waves, much less anything that could do it with our current technology.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that are created when massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars, accelerate or collide with each other.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using highly sensitive instruments called interferometers, which measure tiny distortions in the fabric of spacetime as the waves pass through.

3. What are small collisions?

Small collisions refer to the merging of two relatively small objects, such as two neutron stars or two black holes, resulting in the release of gravitational waves.

4. Why is the release of gravitational waves from small collisions significant?

The release of gravitational waves from small collisions provides scientists with valuable information about the properties of the objects involved, such as their mass and distance, and can also help us better understand the nature of gravity and the structure of the universe.

5. Can gravitational waves be used for practical applications?

While the detection of gravitational waves has opened up a new window for studying the universe, currently there are no known practical applications for them. However, ongoing research in this field may lead to potential future applications, such as improved methods for space navigation or communication.