Removing frozen field from SQUID magnetometer MvsH data

In summary, the speaker has discovered a frozen field in the SQUID magnetometer before taking measurements and is wondering if it is allowed to multiply the applied field by a factor of 0.75 to get the expected data. They also mention using the SQUID in a feedback loop and caution against drawing conclusions from the data.
GPhys05032019
Hi,

I have measured a sample and realized there is a frozen field that remained in the SQUID magnetometer before the MvsH measurements were taken.

I am fairly new to using the SQUID, I have plotted the data and if I multiply the applied field by a factor of 0.75 the data matches what I expect.

Is this allowed? My thought process was that if there is an initial field while the SQUID is charging, this frozen field will also increase from the charging process, as the applied field does, so rather than it being an offset field, is it a factor change?

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
That sounds a bit fishy.
A "frozen" field (that is, trapped flux) should for a "bare" SQUID just give you a field offset..
Now, you are probably using the SQUID in a feedback loop which makes things a bit more complicated; and I guess it is theoretically possible that the trapped flux would result in the magnetometer becoming less sensitive (i.e. a change by a constant factor). However, I would be very careful about drawing any conclusions from that data.

f95toli said:
That sounds a bit fishy.

I hope that pun was intended, because it was good! :)

Zz.

1. What is a SQUID magnetometer?

A SQUID (Superconducting Quantum Interference Device) magnetometer is a highly sensitive instrument used to measure very small magnetic fields. It works by detecting changes in the magnetic flux through a superconducting loop.

2. Why would a frozen field need to be removed from MvsH data?

A frozen field occurs when the external magnetic field applied to the sample remains constant during the measurement. This can cause distortions in the MvsH data, making it difficult to accurately analyze and interpret. Therefore, it is necessary to remove the frozen field component to obtain the true MvsH data.

3. How can a frozen field be removed from SQUID magnetometer MvsH data?

There are various methods for removing frozen field from MvsH data, such as subtracting a reference curve or using a mathematical correction algorithm. The best method will depend on the specific instrument and experimental setup.

4. What are the potential sources of error when removing frozen field from MvsH data?

Some common sources of error when removing frozen field from MvsH data include instrumental drift, temperature variations, and magnetic interference from external sources. It is important to carefully calibrate and monitor these factors to ensure accurate data.

5. Can removing frozen field affect the overall quality of the MvsH data?

In some cases, removing frozen field may cause a slight decrease in the overall quality of the MvsH data. This is because the frozen field component can contain valuable information about the sample. However, it is necessary to remove it in order to accurately analyze the true MvsH data and make meaningful conclusions about the sample's magnetic properties.