Renormalization (Electron self energy)

In summary: The pole mass scheme has the advantage that it is directly related to the physical mass of the particle, which is the mass measured in experiments. So by choosing this renormalization condition, you ensure that the physical mass can be directly calculated from the pole mass. However, this is not the only way to renormalize and obtain a physical mass. In summary, the pole mass scheme is a convenient choice because it directly relates to the physical mass of the particle.
Aleolomorfo
Hello everybody!
I have a big question about the renormalization: I do not understand why the "renormalization condition" is to impose the tree level result. Now I will explain it better.
Let's take, for example, the electron self energy. The tree-level contribution is the simple fermionic propagator ##\frac{i}{\displaystyle{\not}p-m}##.
If I calculate the complete propagator (using the sum of all 1-particle-irreducible), the result is
$$\frac{i}{\displaystyle{\not}p-m-\Sigma(\displaystyle{\not}p,m)}$$
which is like the tree level result but the pole is shifted.
Renormalizing the electron self energy implies to redefine the electron mass. I define the "renormalized mass" as the position of the pole in the propagator. Consequently, to define the "physical measurable mass" I need to find the pole:
$$\displaystyle{\not}p-m-\Sigma(\displaystyle{\not}p,m)|_{\displaystyle{\not}p=m_R}=0$$
After finding the renormalized mass I Taylor-expand the full propagator arounf ##m_R## and to find exactly the tree level result (mutatis mutandis with the renormalized mass) I will need also to redefine the electronic field with ##Z_2##.
If I am not wrong this is the idea behind the renormalization of the electron self-energy. However, I do not understand why I want the tree level result and I redefine things to obtaint it. For example, why the "physical mass" , the one that I measure in an experiment, is the shifted pole of the propagator? I think I understand how to do the things but I do not understand why.
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
What textbook are you using? It should contain a proof that the two point function has a momentum-space pole at the single particle mass. It's nothing to do with matching the tree-level result.

Likes bhobba and dextercioby
I am using Peskin and Schwartz (QFT and the SM)

In Peskin and Schroeder section 7.1 has the proof that the interacting two point function has the pole I mentioned above.

Likes bhobba
Aleolomorfo said:
I do not understand why the "renormalization condition" is to impose the tree level result. Now I will explain it better.

This is not THE renormalization condition, it is A renormalization condition, that was chosen in this example. The mass scheme that you get using this renormalization condition is called the "pole mass" of the particle.

You can chose different renormalization conditions, leading to different mass schemes.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is renormalization?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise in calculations of the electron self energy. It allows for meaningful and finite predictions to be made in the theory.

2. Why is renormalization necessary?

Renormalization is necessary because in quantum field theory, calculations of the electron self energy often lead to infinite results. These infinities arise due to the self-interaction of the electron, and without renormalization, the theory would be unable to make meaningful predictions.

3. How does renormalization work?

Renormalization works by introducing counterterms, which are additional terms in the equations that cancel out the infinities. These counterterms are chosen in such a way that the final result is finite and physically meaningful.

4. What is the physical significance of renormalization?

The physical significance of renormalization is that it allows for the calculation of measurable quantities in quantum field theory, such as the electron's mass and charge. Without renormalization, these quantities would be infinite and meaningless.

5. Are there any limitations to renormalization?

There are some limitations to renormalization, as it is a mathematical technique and not a physical principle. It is most effective in theories with a small number of particles and interactions, and may not work in more complex theories. Additionally, renormalization does not provide a complete understanding of the electron self energy, and there is ongoing research to improve and refine the technique.